I have a horribly mouthy 16 yr old son, how do I gain control back?

Reena751

Asked by Reena751 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Good luck Mom! I have a 15 yr old that last year he was a total ASS, he was cocky did nothing he was asked. I finally decided to choose my battles. Basciallly I took a look at was really important. Like is his room clean, "not that important" did he do his chores "not that important" and so on. I also started taking everything away starting with his bedroom door. Told him when you can start to act like a civilized human then your things will return. its my house and I pay the bills He is much better now because he knows I mean business. Good Luck MOM
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Take away the common teen material toys even if he pays or paid for them. I assume you agreed he could get them cuz he paid but you believed his behavior would be either great or good? Take that stuff away and keep it until his behavior maintains add good grades of all c averages needed for the length through summer. Add daily chores and check home work daily plus track whereabout, friends. He can live by your rules or he can choose to move. My 16 year old was same way. I set punishments and behavior needed in place and as long as I keep up on what respect is, she's decided to stay. When I slack off on expecttions she gets nasty again.
    Anonymous

• oh see it's like this...
    no TV, no ipod, no cell phone, no gaming systems, no house phone.....he would lose everything and he would only be able to gain anything back is by correcting his behavior. Good luck
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Kick his ass, that what my mom did to me.

Kids dont give a shit if you take their stuff away lmao, they have imaginations and they will use them.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Ignore her anytime that she is mouthy or disrespectful. Don't do anything for her...no laundry, no meals, no rides anywhere, no cell phone bill paid. Hit her where it hurts the most. When she complains, tell her that until she can be respectful to you then she will be doing everything on her own. I would hit, spank, etc...my mom did that and I didn't work, I still don't respect her much and I am 37 years old. I can't respect someone that automatically hit instead of talking to me. Talk to your daughter about how inappropriate her behavior is. Tell her that she will get much farther if she talks to you about what is bothering her. It is ok, to be angry or upset with a parent but it has to be done with respect.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You remind them that you are the mom..and you get to chooses what the rules are and what you will tolerate........if he doesn't like it and he leaves...lock the door and text him that the doors are locked and he isn't going to sleep in his bed until...whatever...you want..too happen..happens...texting is a powerful tool and kids can talk STRAIGHT WITH YOU...when texting...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009