How did you transition from formula to milk?

My son is currently on Enfamil Gentlease and will be 1 on 6/20. I have started putting 2oz of milk mixed with 4oz of formula in each bottle this week. Are there any side effects i should be watching for?
Thanks for your help.

christinek_00

Asked by christinek_00 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is one and one week and we just gave her a sippy with milk in it one day,end of other milk(she was breastfed) she didnt notice nething too diffrent, at first she was like, uhhh but then was ok, and we were told to watch out for things like rashes and extra crankyness also if there is any big change in diapers, like significantly more or diff colors. one thing with milk they can have reflux pretty bad(my friends son has this) and ull know that just by how cranky they are.
    also graduates has these milk carton things they r thicker than milk so similar to formula, and have extra vitamins comes in 2 flavors, its not refrigerated though, kinda weird, but my daughter loves them!!!
    kyliebugs_mommy

Answer by kyliebugs_mommy at 3:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Actually at 12 months it's perfectly fine to go cold turkey if you want to... Some babies don't like it, especially if their formula has been warmed... my daughter who was on formula only for the last month (breastmilk before) didn't even seem to notice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son wouldn't drink cold milk for a long time. If he acts like he doesn't want plain milk, try warming it up a little.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• How did you transition from formula to milk?

With both of my daughters as soon as they turned One I gave them Milk and threw out the Formula! So when they woke up on the day of there 1st Birthday, they got Milk in a sippy cup... No more Formula and No more Bottles! It went very smoothly without any problems and they never looked back. Some little ones wont be as easy and needs tough love, they will get use to it just don't give in to there screaming and crying!!! =)
    Anonymous

• Why not give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009