I thought infants sleep a lot??

my 2 month old requires A LOT in order for him to go to sleep...some days he only takes a 1 2-3hour nap a day is this normal? He doesn't have colic..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every baby is different. But my son is 6 months and sleeps through the night and still takes at least 2 or 3 1 to 2 hour naps a day. He likes his sleep, and is a crank but if he doesn't get it. But he also has days when he will fight it andnot nap at all.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 3:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My 2 mo old DS is doing the same, IF I can get him to nap, it's less than an hour. I've tried silence, music, tv, loud noise, NOTHING seems to work! There are also days he doesn't nap at all.

But, he does sleep through the night.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my son does not nap during the day much. he will take a little 10 minute cat nap here and there and he will never sleep as long as an hour. that would be like heaven for me. newborns generally sleep a lot but once they are old enough to discover the wolrd is fun and there is lots to look at, they dont want to sleep anymore. my son sleeps thru the night and i think thats more important than sleeping during the day
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My first daughter really fought sleep but she really needed it, too. What I found to work well was to soothe her to sleep within 2 hours of awake time -- whether she seemed tired or not. I read a good deal of literature about overtired babies, and apparently some babies show no signs of being tired until they're past their point... and when they're overtired, it's harder for them to fall asleep and harder for them to stay asleep. At 2 months it's totally fine that your baby needs help going to sleep. It may be that you have one that really needs to be in a quiet, dark space, needs motion, etc. Just go with it. I found it really, really important with both my girls to make naps a priority. At your daughter's age, I think 3-4 naps is the recommendation.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ps; If you aren't swaddling, you could try that. With my first (the one who fought sleep), we thought she hated swaddling because it didn't work for us when she was a newborn, but around 7-8 weeks we tried it again and it was like magic. Swaddling, pacifier, stroking her forehead gently between the eyes, even ever so lightly closing her eyelids once they got heavy.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm glad I'm not the only one! My 7 week old takes lots of 10-20 minute cat naps, maybe a 30-45 minute one every day, and sometimes will take a nice 2 hour one. It's frustrating not knowing if she falls asleep how long it will last. She is very observant though and loves to look around at stuff all day.
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 9:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009