Summer Camp???

My Oldest Son Brady is 8 almost 9 and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type II. Well he has been asked to attend the MDA summer camp July 12th thru July 18th. We live in Wa State and the camp is 40 min away in ID. There will be 5 other kids between ages 7 and 10 with SMA so for him to hangout with kids his own age just like him will be huge. He really wants to go but for some reason I am hanging on to the paper work and am really scarred to let him. It's a whole week without me and I have never left him. They have advised me that he has a camp leader and there will be 5 EMT's and 4 RN's at camp 24hrs a day. He is in a wheelchair and needs help with everything except communicating and has daily breathing treatments and sometimes takes oxygen. My Husband is all for it but I know I will just be a nervous wreck. We get to visit for family day on Wednesday and get dailey phone calls. What are your thoughts?

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Letting go is so hard!!! I couldnt breathe the first week my dd was away and sewas just with my parents. do some research on the camp and let him go. Camp was one of my favorite things growing up and I have wonderful memories. I would let him go and stay very busy that week!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What a wonderful opportunity for him. Part of what we do as parents is raise the child to get along independently. To fly. Let your little chick fly. You'll miss him like crazy, but camp will be a good experience for him and help him feel more self-reliant.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• O.K. I know it would be hard to let him go, but it seems that they have made all sorts of provision for the kids, its a well known agency and you still are fairly close. You say he has good communication skills and that is a big thumbs up for me. He can make his needs known. So let him go. Kids with disabilities get to do so little that typical kids do he should have the chance.

My twins have developmental delays, they are not physically disabled. However, they miss so much that my typically developing older daughter got to do. We reciently got to go to a family camp for families affected by disability and it was wonderful. My kids got to do all the stuff "normal" kids do in a safe protected environment.

So I'd let him go.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would definitely let him go--it will be healthy for BOTH of you! Your son has expressed a desire to go, and I'll bet he's capable of telling the staff how best to help him! The camp is designed for children like him, they have professional staff and emergency care providers. He will be in GREAT hands! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Since it's by a lake I told my Husband I was taking the boat and going to watch him for the week!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Until your child returns, you will not understand how wonderful overnight camp is for a child. They mature and become independent in ways you will not believe. It is a great gift to give to your child; especially one with special needs who is tired of feeling "different"

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2009