Questions about burping and baby development....

1) I can never get my newborn to burp. I breastfeed, then spend up to an hour with nothng but alot of spit up. Any advice?

2) When I rub her back I can feel her spine... Is that normal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should try different burping positions. You can put her against your shoulder and pat her back, or try rubbing it a little bit. Try laying her down to stretch out and then back to burping. Or what I did with my son was id have him sitting in my lap with my left arm supporting his head and chest and pat with my right. My son spit up a lot and still does at 6 months despite burping or not. But those are some things you can try.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 3:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What different positions did you try burping her in? When my dd and ds were babies the only way I could get them to burp was to sit them on my lap, put my left hand under their chin and pat them on the back with my right. Sometimes burping from the lower back up to between the shoulders worked too. Like patting up the back. Also try burping her between sides.

Yes it's normal to feel her spine. My ds is now 4. He's a little stick and I can still feel his spine. I still don't get how he eats and eats and can be so skinny. I want his metabolism, lol.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009