At what age should I take my son's pacifier away? How do I convince an 18 month old that he doesn't need it? How long will it take for him to get over using it?

My son is 18 months and he already has pushed out curved front teeth from his pacifier. He usually only uses it at night or nap time while sleeping unless he is sick or teething , which seems like to be all the time. I tried to put him to bed last night without and he screamed hysterically for 40 min before I gave in. I could not give him comfort by holding him. He wanted his paci. Please help.

mktgmomma

Asked by mktgmomma at 3:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am trying to figure this one out too.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It will take as long as you let it take. I would just take it away and not give in... he'll find a way to comfort himself eventually. But this can be one of the problems with waiting as long as you did.
    Anonymous

• Actually Anon4:13...all kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until at least 18-24 months..some longer some sooner. And the AAP and the AAPD say that kids can suck until age 2-3 before any real tooth damage is done. So, you are right on track for starting to decide to get rid of it. With my son, I just yanked it away..right before he turned two. He screamed and screamed for days..then was over it. I have decided that for any future kids, that I will let them self wean...from breast, bottle, pacifier...whatever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Actually, I didn't say it was unsafe to wait until 18 months to take it away. I suggested it was more difficult to take it away at that point, when you have a willful toddler on your hands.
    Anonymous

• I would just go cold turkey and do everything in your power not to give in. Explain to him that his pacifiers are all gone.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm for replacing the paci with a new routine or a new lovie. I'd say first ty to change up your bedtime routine. Read, sing, or chat for a few minutes - something special that he will want to repeat every night (maybe even switch which parent does bedtime at this point - my husband started doing bedtime with the twins around 18 months, and they thought that was special). Let him have a special pillow or blanket with a character on it (this can replace the paci, so be sure it something you can live with for a while). Keep the paci hidden except at nap and bedtime. When he seems really into the bedtime routine just don't get one out one night. He may cry or pitch a fit for a night or two, but just keep paci hidden and don't say the word paci at all. My twins stopped using theirs at night about a week and a half ago at 21 months, and it turned out to be a non-issue (not even one tear). Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i took mine away at 24 months (but she didn't start using it until 13 months!) anyway, i made a big deal and gathered all the binks and wrapped them in beautiful paper and then we took them to give to the booby babies (newborns) at the hospital. (where we actually threw them away!). almost NO fussing even at nap that day!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I started taking it away during the day and giving it to him at nap and bed. then i would take it from nap and only give it to him at bed then one night i took it away at bed time and he would ask for a few weeks and then he was fine. i stared doing it at 24 months and ended @ 27 months
    momcar

Answer by momcar at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Ours just evaporated when our daughter started walking. The sight of a toddler with a pacifier makes my skin crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Jun. 12, 2009