How do you feel about prisions segregating inmates for being or "looking" gay?

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/Media/News/NewsDetail.aspx?cat=National&id=D98NVKNO0@news.ap.org&client=gadget&qid=D44A2174E57A068996070F9FFFFFFFFF
I thinks its STUPID and discrimination...

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We'll since you feel its stupid and discrimination, well throw them all in together and see which ones come out alive and in one piece.

Duh, the idea is to protect them. People in jail are (generally speaking) not the most tolerant people in the world.
    Anonymous

• Wow, so you think we should toss all the gays in with the general population and let them be raped to death by the inmates? I am not trying to attack here, just suggest the other side of the argument.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 3:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Okay, so now that I have read the story, I get what you are saying and these guards should be disciplined. Sorry for jumping to conclusions...
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They are homophobic cowards
    Anonymous

• I must be missing something here... how does putting all the gays together to "separate" couples... wouldn't both partners be gay???
    Anonymous

• okay just so you know everything is segregated in prison Whites room with Whites, Blacks with Blacks,Hispanics with Hispanics just they way things are in there my dh was in prison for 5 years he is Hispanic and not prejudgesat all but in there it is kind of forced it's for every ones safety

Anonymous

• it is to keep these people safe not to hurt them would you rather have them get killed while serving there time. not everyone in prison is there on a life sentence!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I hate to say it, but its safer for them. I have no issues with homosexuality, but I do recognize that in the prison system some of them will get their asses kicked, or even face gang rape. Many of the men who do rape in prison aren't actually gay, although some are. If it saves one life then I'm all for it.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• As far as segregation goes I'm afraid jails are one of the places its still a good idea. For the inmates safety! A lot of the most racist, ignorant, homophobic people in America are living in jail. Doesn't make it the safest place on Earth!
    Anonymous

• It's for their own safety. It's a good thing. Segregation is not always about being mean or unfair.
    Anonymous