Do you tan? In a bed or in the sun? Do you use sunscreen? On you or your kids?

Just wonderin'

We have a pool so we are outside a lot, but I always coat the kids in 50 spf sunblock.

My son tans really well , even with the sunblock, is this bad for his skin too?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 3:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Health

• I'm very pale, I don't see any reason to change the color I am so I wouldn't deliberately tan. All of us use sunscreen. I have three kids, one pale like me and my twins who took after their dad who is 1/2 Puerto Rican. They brown up so well. I assume since they are just as covered as the one who burns that they are just as protected. Their natural skin tone just shows more when exposed to the sun.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My oldest daughter and I are both fair and have a hard time tanning. We burn easily though, even while using an SPF 30. My other two have light skin, but not as fair. Both tan really well even with the same sunscreen that we use. I think it has to do with how much Melanin (sp) your skin naturally produces as to how dark you'll get. The darker the skin tone, the more Melanin it has.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i tan easily when im out and about. i dont get red tho i get brown so i dont do tanning bed. the way i figure it is the sun is bad enough alone do we really need to harness that effect and lay in its bed? tanning beds are waaaaay worse and so unnatural. def use sunblock on the kids tho. no matter whether your hawaiian, spanish or caucasian, cancer is cancer.
    BillyKraftsMom

Answer by BillyKraftsMom at 4:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Skin cancer, of all kinds even melanoma, run in my family. So I try not to go to the tanning bed and I never "lay out" and tan in the sun. I'm not out much anyway. I am guilty though of not using sunscreen regularly on myself. Unless i'm on vacation at the beach i am really not oudoors enough to use it. If my kids will be playing outdoors I will spray them. My oldest is allergic to sunscreen. So finding one he can wear is hard. But we have pretty much found that he can wear any of the spray ones with an spf of 30 or lower. I can't remember really if it's 15 or 30 so i bought both lol. It's trial and error really. I just have to keep re-applying it frequently on him since the SPF has to be lower due to the allergy. We have tried all they "hypoallergenic" ones for kids at the higher spf's and he breaks out and swells up horribly.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am fake bakin' right now. I'm in a wedding in July. But if I know that I'll be in the sun for a prolonged period of time, I put on sunscreen. We usually have at least 30 spf. My daughter tans easily but I always put sunscreen on her if we're outside and it's sunny (although I've heard that it doesn't matter if the sun is out or not. The UV rays cut right through the clouds.).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009