You hear something unbelievable about a certain belief system

is it best to ask questions or just forget it for fear you will be called names? Say you hear Catholics like to drink holy water. Would it be best to just forget about it and assume it is just made up or actually ask. If someone ask an unbelievable question should you ignore it or call names and put the person in their place? Or try to give an honest answer even if the question is a little bizarre?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would definitely ask, otherwise you will never know the truth.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ASK. If you don’t ask you won’t learn.

I would never ignore a question about and always be sure I answer it with scriptures.

NO NEED TO NAME CALL there is far too many misconceptions about some religions.
    Anonymous

• Give an honest answer. The ones who name call are usually the ones who seem scared and actually think there could be some truth behind it.
    Anonymous

• give an honest answer.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I always ask questions if I'm curious about something. It's usually easy to tell if someone is asking out of pure curiosity or ignorance, or if they're just trying to piss people off.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If you have a question, ask away - sure there will be some people who are jerks about it, but there always will be those who are willing to answer with honesty and respect.
    You can't learn if you don't ask!
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If it's something that is CLEARLY outlandish, then yeah, I would probably push it aside. However, if it's something that is really bothering you, or you're really interested, ask. I don't think anyone will be offended by an honest question intended to enhance your understanding of someone else's religion. If they ARE offended, that's their problem.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think it's best to ask. I've taught classes for adults interested in converting to Catholism and some people had some strange questions that made me wonder how they ever came up with that idea. But I'm so glad they asked so they can learn and understand!

It's only when a question really isn't a question but more of a back-handed insult that it's offensive. Generally those "questions" mean the person isn't really interested understanding - they've already made up their minds Like instead of asking "I've heard Catholics worship Mary, is that true?" you get a question like "Did you know that you're going to hell for worshipping Mary and the Bible tells you not to".

Just in case anyone is confused - Catholics don't worship Mary :-)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Option 3 - google. If it's so outrageous it will sound like a troll question, google it first. If you see things come up you don't understand (or the only answers you get are from other religions and not the religion you're asking about) then ask, and point out you tried looking it up.
    Trolling isn't so much about content as phrasing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• And the holy water thing - yes some Catholics actually drink holy water but usually it's used to bless oneself and as a symbol to recall our baptism. It's really not a common thing that is done - but some people feel it helps them. It's not that the water itself is magical because the water is just a symbol or a remembance.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009