What to do for my daughter's migraine?

My Dd is an active, healthy 6yo girl - on Mon. she started complaining of a severe headache around noon. A short while later she started feeling nauseous. She tried to play outside with her friends, but ended up just holding her head and crying. At 8 that night she started vomiting, and she threw up about once an hour then until 7 AM. At that point she stayed asleep until about 3 in the afternoon - I figured she would feel better after getting that solid sleep, but her head still hurt. She ate, threw up, and went back to sleep. She woke up at 9 last night still in terrible pain, and we went to the ER. They checked her, said it was probably a migraine; she had IV fluids for the dehydration and some meds fr the nausea and pain, and left feeling chipper.

Then it started again, she's been asleep all day and any time she wakes she cries that her head hurts. 54 hours of this - do I take her back to the ER or wait it out?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The only thing that has ever really helped my migraines is sleep. Different meds will work on different symptoms, but that is the only real "cure" for everything. If she's slept that much and they aren't any better at all, I would at least call and ask if there's something specific you should be looking for. If nothing else they should give you pain meds or something like Midrin (I really don't know what's approved for kids).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would call the ER and tell them that you were in. There could be something else that came out of that and they just didnt see it or something that developed after the ER.
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ER. There has to be a reason for a 6 year old to be getting migraines
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 4:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They gave us one Zofran in case she had any more nausea, but no Reglan for the headache. Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't TOUCH the headache - I might as well give her sugar pills. The ER didn't instruct me about whether I could increase the dosages for her or not, and we can't get in to our new PCP until August.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Migraines aren't uncommon, and 6 is often when they start. From researching a bit, it seems very consistent with what's going on with her. She doesn't have a virus or any infection and the CAT scan was clear. My concern is just that it's lasting so dang long...
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Try going back through what she ate. Maybe something she ate triggered the migrane. Is she under stress? I know you think what 6 yr old is under stress but how are things going at home? At school? Is she really really busy with extracuricular activities? What are you giving her for the pain? You could try motrin. Also try pepsi or coke. The caffiene will help the motrin work better and will thin the blood vessels. Have her lay in a quiet dark room too. Try a cool washcloth on her forhead. I hope she feels better. Migranes are tough for adults. I couldn't imagine how rough it is for a little girl. If she's not feeling better by tomorrow I would definately take her back in.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• As a migraine sufferer...take her back to the ER....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• good golly NP how do you sleep when you have a migraine? My pillows feel like rocks and I cannot sleep for the life of me. I forgot to add in my post OP, you could try taking her to a Chiropractor....Mine has helped with a lot of my migraines. I do not get them as often.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• She's had cool cloth on her forehead, we gave her Coke and ibuprofen, and it was like she hadn't taken anything. I was sure it would help but didn't even tough the pain. Tylenol the day before didn't help either. She's been in a dim quiet room all day... we're just letting her sleep.

She isn't under stress right now, I'm trying to think back over the what she ate adn did to figure it out. Thanks.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i used to get headaches ALL the time when i was young at about that age as well.im not realy sure what caused them,.but ANYTHING could tip them off. i usually had a coldish rag on my forehead,.and saltines and water.also sleeeppp. you said shes been sleeping all day though and then its stil there? um.im not sure if you can give a 6 year old excedrin? nt sure maybe that will work? good luck:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 4:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009