how to fix my 8 month old waking up through the night?

My 8 month old wakes up 2-4 times each night fussing or crying. When I go in there he is standing up holding on to the side of the crib usually looking at the door to his room. I lay him back down, put a paci in his mouth for about 10-15 minutes, pull it out, and he is usually back to sleep. With the rare exception of course. He has just started doing this over the past month or so which coincides with his really learning to pull up to standing. Is he getting stuck standing? Should I let him cry it out back to sleep even if he has to figure out how to get himself down from standing? He still has no teeth, and I don't even feel any coming in .. so I don't think it could be teething as the latest problem. Is giving him a pacifier in the middle of the night several times making it worse? This is my first baby so any advise or experience is welcome and appreciated!

KrystalRT

Asked by KrystalRT at 4:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It probably does have something to do with him just learning to pull up. Kids can get really obsessed with their milestones sometimes and they just can't help but try them out every chance they get... my daughter would get herself into a sitting position constantly when she had just learned to do that, even when she would much rather be fast asleep.

If you didn't have to go give him the paci before, I wouldn't do that now, because that could be a new habit you're starting. What I would try is wait a few minutes, then go in there, talk to him, hold him for a minute, then putting him back down on his tummy (or however he usually sleeps now). He may have to cry for a bit, but eventually he should go back to sleep. Just try not to do anything new you haven't been doing (feeding him, etc) because then he'll start waking up expecting that, wanting that, even when he's over the standing up thing.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son started doing the same thing. He went from sleeping through the night to waking up every two hours or so. After many weeks of me not gettin sleep I decided to try something new.
    I stopped going in his room. Unless of course his cries told me he was hurting or so on. So whenever he woke up i would just lay there an listen. After about a min or two he'd go back to sleep.

Try it out. My DS now sleeps from 7:30pm till about 7am :)
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 4:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Stop going in there. It is hard but eventually baby will go back to sleep. He needs to learn how to put himself to sleep. I did it with my daughter and it took about a week and now she doesn't wake up at all! Or if she does I don't know anything about it. It is hard to her them cry but if you keep going in there nobody will ever sleep again :)
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh and if you keep paci in the crib he can put it back in himself if he wants it.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009