whats the best thing to use to get my 3 week old to poop?

she's three weeks old and hasnt pooped in 24 hours. the doc's "gripe water" isnt working and she's still in alot of pain. what do i do?!

teddybear_momma

Asked by teddybear_momma at 4:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try a tablespoon of dark karo syrup in her formula .... a lot of times sugar makes babies have a bowel movement
    KrystalRT

Answer by KrystalRT at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If she's breastfed, it's totally normal. I think even for formula-fed babies, 24 hours is alright. But I would talk to your doctor if she seems uncomfortable. Probably s/he will recommend some diluted juice, but I would NOT do this without doctor's explicit orders.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i have always been told NO KARO SYRUP. there is a chance of botulism with that and honey. My doctor has told me never use karo syrup
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• it is normal for babies not to poop every day. you should try 1 oz of prune juice and 2 oz of water.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my pediatrician was the one that suggested the karo syrup for my little one. My son had a lot of problems with constipation up till 2 months. We did karo syrup and diluted juice regularly. I even had to do the occassional baby enema or suppository
    KrystalRT

Answer by KrystalRT at 4:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• infant suppositories worked well for my son
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• like the poster said before. if you are breastfeeding this is normal. however, if you are formula feeding, you may need to change formulas until you find one that works with her digestion. but I would wait to use anything until after tomorrow. You could try a warm wash rag and massage her anus and see if that will stimulate her reflex to poop.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's only been 24 hours. Seriously, it's okay. Don't go throwing karo syrup in the bottle or juice in him. Give it another day, then ask your pediatrician. Most pediatricians don't recommend karo syrup, and you don't want to overdo enemas or suppositories. They can do more damage, so it's best to talk to a doctor before considering that.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Take his temperature rectally.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my son was breast feed and we had the same problem although he was about 6 weeks when it started. the dr told me it was normal for breastfeed babies to go more than 24 hrs but if he started to look unconfortable then to give him a tablespoon of the karo syrup. i was really nerves to do it but with in 2 hrs we had a hudge mess lol. he out grew it by 3 months
    shortey79

Answer by shortey79 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009