has anyones child ever had a heart murmur?

My daughters doctor told me that my daughter could have a heart murmur but that I need to come back in a week for him to check again. My daughter is 21 months. Is this something I should be worrying about? Anyone else go through this?

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 4:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 12 year old was born with a heart murmur...I was told that it would most likely go away as he aged but he still has it. Thankfully nothing has come from it. He gets to visit a cardiologist every 3 years for tests and the only other thing is being careful during any dental procedures he's not able to take any type of antibiotics when getting work done on his teeth. Other than that he's fine, he's been cleared to play sports, he does basketball and baseball-just an active kid. As long as you keep up with the monitoring of his heart and everything is okay during check ups feel safe.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My dd who is now 3 1/2 has a slight heart mummer. The dr's found it at 4 mths. She see's a speicalist for it every year. they dont know why she has it or when it will go away.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mine did (and does).
    Her pediatrician found it at her check-up before we left the hospital and referred us to a pediatric cardiologist. He found a small hole between the lower chambers of her heart - a defect called a VSD. It was small and he just monitored it. It got a little smaller over the next 2 years but didn't fully seal up. At that point, he said it may never seal up, that it was no longer a cause of concern at all, and discharged her from care. So, she still has a slight murmur but it's not a problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The docs discovered my oldest son had a heart murmur when he was 3 years old. They sent him to have a scan of his heart and it came out fine. There's a name for that type of murmur but I can't remember what it is. It's just something some people have and it doesn't cause any future problems. Sometimes it even goes away.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I and one of my kids have one. It has never been much of a problem.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Most heart murmurs are harmless, I wouldn't worry unless the doctor was concerned. My mom has had a heart murmur all her life, the only thing she has to do is take antibiotics about 1 week before a dental appointment. Sometimes, the murmurs go away. A heart murmur can keep someone from going into the military though. (My brother wasn't allowed in because of his heart murmur).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My DD does they checked it and she has a fiber that is strung across one of the chambers that flaps and gives her a murmur but it is nothing to worry about. I think my oldest has a slight one also to but they are not worried about it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My son has had one since birth. It is a harmless murmur- which is called benign- they may or may not go away in ones life- more likely the kids grow out of them!  Keep all of your Dr. appts; if your pediatrician blows it off, insist that you be referred to a pediatric cardiologist, just to have the murmur evaluated AND monitored.          

dinkadink

Answer by dinkadink at 1:40 AM on Jun. 12, 2009