how can i make my 2 year old daughter quit sucking her thumb

shadia701

Asked by shadia701 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not going to give much help but i have a 5 year old that sucks her finger still. I have tryed almost everything. the pepper, the hot sauce, the glove taped on at night and nothing has worked. I have been told that there is this drops that you put on their finger that will make them stop.
    Burgandybunny

Answer by Burgandybunny at 4:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Not much.
    This is a comfort issue and it helps her deal with the stress of growing up. As she enters grade school, it will probably go away on it's own. But it may come back as a teenager as she deals with the stress of those years.
    You can try all the tricks: nasty tasting finger nail polish, hot sauce, keeping her hands busy, gloves, even special clamps that go around the thumb. But most kids either don't care or find a way around it. Time and her own desire to stop are the only real "cures".

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Thumbs.htm
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have a 29 month old that has sucked her thumb since she was 3 months. I would say don't do anything right now. I have only told her when we're doing things OTHER than laying down for a nap or if she's crying, that we don't need to suck her thumb, and things like 'daddy doesn't suck his thumb, we don't need to either while we're playing'. I don't mind her doing it when she's tired/cranky/upset, but if she's playing with her toys or taking a walk with me then she doesn't need it. I'm going to wait until she's about 5 before doing this like hot sauce on the thumb. I'll probably try the nail polish that tastes really bad first, because I know she likes hot sauce already! I used that when I was younger to stop biting my nails and it worked for me. But, my advice for now is to wait just a little while longer before really making her stop. Good luck:)
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 8:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I sucked my thumb until I was in the second grade. My mom did literally everyting to get me to stop and nothing worked. I basicaly laughed at her efforts. The teachers I had even taped my hands down on my desk! The one thing that did work, finally, was Chinese hot mustard. She dipped my thumbs in for like a minute each then washed them off. I could taste it for hours and it was nasty. She would re-dip several times a day. After a few days I gave up. Unfortunatly I still suffer the damages. I have severly crooked front teeth. So I say as long as she stops before her permenant teeth come in, let it go for now.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2009