Who is a single mom or was raised by a single mom?

(another post got me a little upset, so here's my own positive question)
ME!

My mom worked and worked to support me (only child). Never got a dime of child support from my sperm donor. Never took public assistance. She bought a house and 5 acres! She got her BA when I was in 3rd grade. She encouraged me to go for whatever I wanted in life. I have never done drugs. I have never even so much as had a speeding ticket. No run-ins with the law. As a matter of fact, after I got my BA in 2000 (while bringing my newborn to classes for my last 2 semesters!), I went on to get my law degree (J.D.). My husband and I will be married for 11 years in July, we've been together for 13 years. We have 3 beautiful children. And I owe it ALL to my SINGLE mother who provided all the love and hope and encouragement to make me shoot for my dreams.

Who else is a single mom? You all deserve a BIG round of applause!
Who was raised by a single mom?

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 4:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My mom was and still is my hero. She divorced my father when I was two because he was an abusive alcoholic that was beating on both her and her children. She raised my two brothers and I and received no assistance from anybody, no child support, and had to live through a house fire when I was five where she lost everything. She taught herself to type and became a police dispatcher (back in those days it was background check and if you could type) , she also put herself through collage while working double shifts sometimes to make ends meet.

She raised us to where my brothers and I have never been in jail, done drugs, gotten drunk, we're not abusive, and we don't act disrespectful or lazy. I am very proud of the mom I have and greatly admire her. I said it before, it's not how many people that raise you it's the values, morals and ethics they raise you with.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am a single mom and I like most other moms do my best for my dd...thank you for an uplifting word!! My daughter is my world and despite our circumstances she will grow up in a home with love and opportunity! I work hard to show her you can achieve anything, but family comes first. Can't tell you how many times she has come to work by my side and Im thankful my boss has let me bring her. Good to hear a success story!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am a single mom to two boys (4 months and 18 months). There father is just now starting to get back in their lives and be consistent about it.. The only assistance i'm on is medicaid for the boys and WIC. Im not receiving any child support as of yet, but thankfully I have a courtdate at the end of July, so it'll help a lot once their father starts helping out financially.

My mom and dad separated when I was 10 years old. She raised us all very very well.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I guess I was raised by a single mom..not from the beginning..but, at 12. She bought a house and got a degree while taking care of me. I am a single mom raising a 13y/o boy. He is a good kid and super smart. Has not been in trouble. Does not sneak out or do anything bad. He is very trustworthy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh yeah...I am buying a house and yes, he is on Medicaid..but that is it. We get NO child support from his Sperm donor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• btw- my dad was never there for us, even when my parents were together.. and none of us are criminals or junkies.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• way to goI was raised by a single mom. While I'm not an only child my brothers and sister are quite a bit older than me so it was just me and my mom. She went back to school while I was in high school and did an amazing job raising me. I agree, single moms do not get the credit they deserve. I think we should give all the moms, single or not, a big round of applause!

sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was she remained single too so she would not be bringing new men in and out of our lives. She is married now but waited. She worked two jobs and we stayed at my grandmothers a great deal of the time. She worked hard and made a life for us. All of us went to college and are going well. I think had she been like many single moms we knew who were looking for a man to take care of them our lives would have not been as great. My mom was focused and determined to raise us herself and give us the life we deserved. When I was 8 she started her own business worked from home and we saw her all the time. She was a great woman who always put her kids first. Our dad died but they were young so they had no life insurance. I wish for all our sakes he had not passed life would have been so much easier for my mom.
    Anonymous

• My maternal grandmother was a single mother. Her husband died in 1919, leaving her with four children ranging in age from 4 to 11. She successfully raised them while working as a domestic and laundress. One became an electrician, one a grocery store manager, one a secretary-bookkeeper and one a telephone operator.

My paternal grandmother was also a single mother. Her husband also died in 1919, leaving her with five children and one stepchild, the youngest being 11 year old twins. She also successfully raised them, however she did not have to work as her home was paid for by inheritance and insurance, and she had an adult stepdaughter who was a bookkeeper. Her older children also worked, so she was able to stay home and take care of the younger ones.

Single parenthood is not easy, not for the fainthearted. Been there, done it.

Thanks, momof3inTN, my beautiful daughter.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 4:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You know I love you tngrandma! Had to give a shout out to all the women who are doing now what you did for me.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009