• In the Spotlight:

Is there really a difference?

I went to a dr appointment for my 10mth old son today. I just moved to Ohio so it was a first visit as well as a 10mth checkup. Long story short, I really did not like this Dr. My DS got two shots. One in each thigh. His old Dr. back in IL always gave him shots in his bottom because he said it hurts less. Now the "new" Dr. says its better to use the thigh. Which is it? Basically now my son's legs are bruised and he's refusing to walk or crawl because it hurts too much. :(

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters always had theirs in their thighs, but they never had any probs with bruises or anything. I'm sorry, poor guy!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter has always seen military doctors, and they always do them in her thighs. They hold her down and do both legs at the same time. My MIL came with me to one of the appointments and was horrified! She has never seemed painful after them like you LO is though.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 4:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would look for a new doc, though, if you're not comfortable with this one.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter always gets them in the thigh. She never had a problem with bruising. Apply some heat to the area (hot water bottles are great for it as long as you wrap it in a towel), and it will help the bruising go away faster, and relieve some of the ache.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Hmm yea i've heard that the shots can be given either way, but if one is less painful why not go with that one?
    I am getting a new dr. They didn't treat my DS very nicely. More like a "dumb baby" than an actual person. I think i was just very spoiled with the Dr i had before. He did all the shots himself and he would always, ALWAYS tell my son what he was going to do and why. My DS never cried for him or caused a fuss.

MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 4:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mine always gets hers in her thighs. If one is truly less painful then every doctor would do it that way. Since so many don't, my guess is that the old doctors view of it hurting less is based on personal belief - sort of like how many moms will cling to some bit of "wisdom" their mom taught them, even when other moms say it doesn't work for them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Poor baby! My son never seemed bothered after his shots. I heard the thigh is better too but no one ever has a reason why...It should be up to you just tell them next time that you want the shots in his bottom. If they refuse there are other doctors who will do what you want!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It IS better to get the shot in the thigh for an baby. This is because that is the area where there is the most pronounced muscle with minimum major blood flow thru the area. It's the same reason why adults get shots in their upper arms.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009