How much is it to go to a trade school for medical billing/coding?

I'm thinking about going to American Career College for medical billing/coding. It takes 8 months to complete and I know you probably only get a certificate for thousands of dollars paid. Is it even worth it? How much is it? Thank you. PS I know that if you are on welfare (cash aid) they pay for you to go to school. Do they only pay for traditional Jr and 4 year college, or do they pay for trade schools too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• These are questions you need to ask the schools and your welfare agent. The financial aid department at the school will know what they take. Most likely they will direct you toward a Pell Grant.

You might look into your local community college instead. Often they offer the same programs for MUCH less than these private schools.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Its only worth it if the doctors offices consider the school you grad. from, uh, whats the word....credible. There are many schools for med. transcription but I don't think all of the certs would be accepted.

I would ask local offices what school they prefer to have trained their transcriptionist. All kinds of schools online will say that they are accepted everywhere and that they will help you get a job. I wouldn't bet on that unless you can find someone who is working, making good money, that got a cert from that school.

Of course, if you are attending a local comm. college or something that would be diff. and I'm sure it would be credible.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009