How doyou get a 5 year old to take a pill---the pill can not be crushed or disolved?

My son has been giving pills for ADHD and will not take them. We tried putting them in his food,I tried to get him just to take it with water. He nows asked before he eats anything if the pill is in it. I am at my wits end. He needs to start his meds before the next school year. Thank you for any and all help.

eeyoree

Asked by eeyoree at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Since it is summer, why don't you experiment with alternative treatments? There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may want to consider a "clean" diet, free of processed foods and chemical additives. The Feingold Organization has great information on the effects of foods on children: www.feingold.org
    Our daughter's attention issues ceased to be a problem after two months taking fish oil supplements (though we have since switched to help); use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals and keep refrigerated. Feel free to contact me with questions. - Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 4:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Have you looked into alternative ways in treating him? Most kids won't swallow a pill at 5 years old.

I have asthma and as a young child I had to take pills...couldn't take the inhaler. I HATE taking pills as a kid!! It always scared me that I'd choke on them. It took a LONG time for me to get over that fear and just learn to do it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Put it in a small piece of bread, bread is squishy and you can make it into a little ball for him to swallow
    Anonymous

• at work we put pills in pudding :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm not sure which "pill" you have, but my son is 5 and takes Adderall for ADHD. It is a capsule that we pull apart and sprinkle on a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt. He said it dosen't even have a taste. GL and maybe ask Dr. for a capsule.
    Anonymous

• Can it not be compounded into a liquid? A real pharmacy, not like Wal-Mart or Walgreens may be able to. At which point you can have an easier time hiding it. Have you talked to him about why he doesn't want to take the pills?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have 5 that take meds, 4 are ADHD and the Dr. gave us the capsules, we just split it over their food... ours are the XR = a slow release ... we do have a compound pharmacy that can flavor the med for better taste, I have not had cause to use it though...you might also try to find one of the cups that you put the pill in one side and fill with water on the other, when he drinks the water the pill slips in too and down it goes... :-)
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Put it in a peanut butter sandwich, or just wrap it in bread. It's worked for us.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Yeah that is a tough one. I was lucky when i had to give my oldest pills even at five he swallowed them, but my step brother has autism and never would take the pills very well. His mom gave them to him in a spoonful of peanut butter and that seemed to work. Good luck.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I don't mean to sound harsh but, some pills as you know are time released and cannot be sprinkled on food or crushed, so he has to take it as is. I went through this with my DD. Finally we had to take a tough love stance. Reward him when he gets it down, but tell him there will be consequences if he refuses. Way back when I was young, I had to take a pill and I was stuborn and refusing...my mom told me the alternative was a shot...down went the pill!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2009