good website to study buddhism? good book?

any of you that know more about this than me...do you know a good website or book for studying this.

their are soooooooooo many its hard to know which ones are good

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• there are many great sites, like religioustolerance.org, and many great books, like Huston Smith's World Religions, and even many groups on here like Unorganized Religion, End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance, and Religious Roundtable that can help you better understand Buddhism, and even other faiths, and that do so in a way where you are free to believe as you please and ask as much as you like without worry of judgment or rudeness.

I have a bunch of books on religion, and my faves are:
    (of course Huston Smith's)
    Religions by Philip Wilkinson
    The Idiot's Guide to World Religions
    The Religion Book by Jim Willis
    World Religions by Robert Pollock
    and World Religions - Origins History Practices Beliefs Worldveiw (Franjo Terhart and Janina Schulze are the names on the inside, but I think its a Parragon Publishing book....)

Hope that helps!!!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• http://www.buddhanet.net/
    that's a good site, too!
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• ooh i forgot a book - world religions, the illustrated guide, edited by michael d coogan.
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I like One Dharma by Joseph Goldstein and The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Naht Hanh
    Groovy-flor

Answer by Groovy-flor at 6:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I like 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching' by Thich Nhat Hanh and 'Awakening the Buddha Within' by Lama Surya Das. Both are really good intros to Buddhism from two teachers in two different Buddhist traditions. I practice Buddhism, these were two good texts that helped me when I was getting started.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009