How do get young children ages 2 and 3 to sleep?

I tried reading a book, giving them a bath, letting them play outside.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• with my daughter i just put her down in bed when it was considered nap time. i don't wait to see rubbing eyes. this has worked as a charm for me. i would say she went to sleep 99% of the time. when she didn't i let her just stay in there to rest. she doesn't fuss. if only potty training was as easy as the sleep time
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• A set routine and do not let them get overtired.
    Do the same thing, in the same order, every night. Dinner, a bath, a story, bedtime for example. For naps, use a short version... lunch, story, naptime.
    Do not force a child to drop the nap. Overtired children have a harder time falling asleep, staying asleep, and are more likely to wakeup early. Enforce a daily quiet time even if they don't sleep.
    Preschool children need 11 to 13 hours of sleep each day, toddlers need 12 to 14. If your child has dark circles under her eyes, bags under her eyes, is cranky in the early evening - then she isn't getting enough. Do not hesitate to move bedtime up and get her into bed early. Sleep is critical to proper growth and brain development. It is far more important that she get enough sleep than it is that she wait up to play with daddy, eat dinner with the family, or watch some TV show.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree with the sleep and routine. After supper, all 3 kids, 14, 11, and 4 go upstairs, littlest one in bed by eight, other two read til 9 then lights out. This gives me time to chill out before I pass out. I'm up between 4:30 and 6, kids @ 7
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 10:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2009