My SIL stopped giving her 8 month old formula and is giving him milk. Should I say something?

I babysat her 8 month old yesterday. She stopped giving her baby formula and he is only allowed to have 2% milk because (in her words) "he is too fat for whole milk"! When I changed his diaper his poop was white and liquidy! Literally white! I have never seen white poop before. She doesn't feed him baby food, only table scraps. She just gives him a little of whatever she eats. It seems like he is surviving mostly off of 2% milk. When he first got to my house he was fussy. I sent DH to buy some formula and gave it to the baby. A few hours later (and a lot of gas) he was happy and smiling. It had to have been the milk bothering his stomach.
Now normally I stay out of other people's business. There are a lot of things she does as a mother that I don't agree with, but leave it to her to make those decisions. This time I think her baby's health is at stake. DH said to leave it alone, but I am worried for his health.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell her she needs to ask the doctor about giving him milk first. While she may think she knows best, she doesn't know the effect that cow's milk will have on his tummy. If anything, TRY to get her to research it. Some doctors say it's ok but I'm willing to bet the majority doesn't.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• She skipped the jar food all together. She started giving him table scraps around 5 months and that is all he has had.
    Anonymous

• Also, but around 8-9 months of age, a baby is supposed to be having "adult-like" poop.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son lived off 2% milk from younger than that. The dr okayed it and my son is 36 now and always been healthy as a horse. The baby will be fine. If you have questions call the nutritionist at the Health Dept WIC program or a pediatrician.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You should let her decide how to raise that child. There is nothing wrong with what she is doing. Lots of moms take the child off formula early because of the cost issue. He is perfectly fine receiving table food as well. What the heck do you think they did in the old times? It's fine. Also, you are in wrong for giving the child formula after he has already been taken off.
    Anonymous

• What is wrong with giving a baby formula after they have stopped?
    Anonymous

• I would bring it up as you are concerned for his health. Tell her you're not trying to tell her how to parent, you know she's a loving mom, etc. but that having white poop is a serious health concern. I say good for you for giving that little guy what he needs, and at 8mos. that is formula. The table food is fine at 8mos., if its healthy food, and he tolerates it well. As long as he's getting enough where he is happy and healthy w/ it.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• OP
    I forgot to add that the baby is anemic.
    Anonymous

• White poop is a sign of LIVER FAILURE. I'd get that kid to a doctor ASAP. If your sister wont change her ways, CPS. I hate this bs of "it's her kid, she knows best". Putting an 8 month old on cows milk is STUPID. She could kill him.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• no my son had regualr milk before a year
    he just wouldnt take formula
    not your place not your kid
    Anonymous