How do I handle this situation?

I'm turning 18 years old next month, and my daughter will be turning 1 a week before I have my birthday.

Being a teen mom was not planned on my part, but things happen. I never thought it'd be easy, and I handled it with maturity.

I have my own apartment, a full time job, my own car, I pay my own bills, and my boyfriend watches my daughter while I'm working. I don't go out unless it's "family night out" with my daughter and boyfriend. I'm enrolled in cosmetology school, and I'm NOT on any financial aid, WIC, or Welfare.

As I see it, I handle things and my life very well, yet I've been approached harshly by older women about how "irresponsible" and "stupid" I am for having my daughter.

COMPLETE strangers! How do I react to them? I can only stay nice for so long.

VonWiggles

Asked by VonWiggles at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just fucc em and continue to do you just remember the only person whp can judge u is god
    lilmissjoefras

Answer by lilmissjoefras at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Wow they need to obviously be looking at themselves. Congrats on being such a great mother. People now a days just have way to much time on their hands. Honestly I know it is hard but the nicer you are the more you keep proving them wrong and showing them what a great person you are :)
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Been there done that!!!
    I had my first when I was 16 my second @ 19, now 24 still get all the looks and mumbles...I just keep my head up and think how awful it must be for them to be that unhappy with themselves.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 5:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well, the way I look at it, unfortunately its an automatic instinctual reaction of "she can't take care of a baby at her age " and I know I am at fault for having that reaction, BUT... i had many friends who had babies in high school who were FAR from mature and far from a good parent being a teenage mother so that is what I instantly think. Another thing is that I didn't have my son until I was 29...now I couldn't imagine having him at 18 because of everything i went through from 18 to 29 - not to say everyone NEEDS to go through those things but i think it hjelps. but like you said, it wasn't planned and you are doing great. you will spend the rest of your life defending yourself until you realize that their opinion does not matter at all!! you are a great mom and very responsible and that's all that matters. Just keep on the right track. and good job!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• First, of all I just want to say thank you for not being one of those teem moms who types like you are texting on a cell (I can never understand what they are trying to say). You do sound like an educated and mature young lady-so cudos for being so strong. Honestly, I don't think I could have handled being a mom at a young age. People are going to always be judgemental-we all do it and for different circumstances (not just the judging teem moms). If you know you're doing all you can do then continue to forget them...turn the other cheek. Stay strong mamma!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Just laugh to yourself because they obviously have no idea that you are kicking ass in life and doing what's right by your baby and yourself. It's hard to remember, but it doesn't matter what those nasty old ladies have to say. I'll never understand why people have to just walk up on the street and give you their opinion.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009