What do you consider "single mom"?

just curious, do u mean ONLY raised by the mother and the father is COMPLETLY MIA? or just that they are divorced? My mother considered herself a single mother, but my father was in the picture, they just were not together

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• To me, single mom = mom that raises her kids without a partner.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• agreed
    ours

Answer by ours at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• To me, a single mom is a woman who raises her children without a partner.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• without the help of the dad

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think when you hear ppl call someone a single mom, they are saying that she is "single" as in divorced without a a husband. If she remarries, she is no longer a single mom. Not all "single" moms have loser exes that don't help. Some single moms have supportive cooperative good fathers as exes. I think being a single mom would be difficult either way but of course much more difficult if the father was "MIA" as you say.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 6:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Single mom is one who is raising her children, unmarried, not living with the father, etc. Could be divorced, could be never married. If she remarries or gets married, then she is no longer a single mother. Living with someone, if he is not the father, to me, is still a single mom. The father may or may not be in the picture, in various forms.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I consider myself to be a single mom. The child's father doesn't live with us, and we are not in a romantic relationship any longer. BUT, he is very involved with her life.
    Anonymous

• A single PARENT is one in which the other parent is not living in the household, for whatever reason, the other parent may or may not be involoved in the child's life. If a parent is living with the other parent, they are not single parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• what tropicalmama said!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• a single parent is one who is not married; hence the term single...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009