Do you think it is bad for the TV to be on all day even if the kids only watch it every now and again or not even at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, my tv stays on all day. It stays on Noggin but the kids do not sit there and watch it all day. They move around and play with their toys, than come and ask me for something, than glance at the tv. Over and over until the day is over hehe.
    Anonymous

• yes
    i am not a big fan of tv
    there are other things that can be on
    Anonymous

• I do. My mom never let the tv on in the daytime. She thought it made kids lazy and they wouldn't go out and play and get fresh air and exercise. Not to mention it is a waste of electricity. I happen to think kids get hooked on noise and want a tv on just to have noise in the house. I don't like it. I don't even have a tv and it drives my grandkids nuts. They don't want to watch it, they just want the noise but instead, we talk. We play board games. We take an interest in each other and not just let our brains go to mush watching tv.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• nope I don't think so.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No probs. My son had on on constantly as a aby and toddler...he still at 13 would rather be outside. He is smart, and not lazy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My television is on a lot during the day but my son does not watch it all the time, however I think for the "background noise" I am going to start playing music!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, studies have shown that little ones can not distinguish the difference between the sounds they hear on tv and the sounds that are really occuring in the room. It has been shown to slow down learning and language development. It's up to you though. I'm sure many kids have turned out fine either way though. Some people would go crazy without some background noise going on. You could try quiet music instead though if you're concerned.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 6:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I hate to have my TV on unless someone is watching it. Just a waste of electricity, IMO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No, I don't think it's a big deal. However, I can be home all day without even turning the tv on. Most of the time, I am playing with my daughter or cleaning and I am not watching anyway. My daughter doesn't watch the tv (only 11 months old), she likes a few commercials that will stop her in her tracks and send her into a trance . . . lol. Other than that, she couldn't care less about the tv.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mine is on all the time even when I sleep, I can not sleep if it isn't on. Even though mine is on all the time my kids don't really watch, they have shows they enjoy, but they would rather be outside. You would think with 7 kids the background noise would drive me crazy.....but nope.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009