What are your views on pacifers?

I dont know if I spelled it right
Other names are packy, binky, Nuk

crazycrazymom74

Asked by crazycrazymom74 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Better than putting random things in mouth =)
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They work for some and not others. I don't see a problem with them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My 3rd child loved his. He would get cranky without it. One day, when he was about 1, he threw it out the window. We didn't go get it or buy another. I loved it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I called it a ninny haha... anyway, I think they are acceptable as long as you know it's not for life. My son didn't even want his after 2-3 months. He weaned himself. However, my friend's 18 month old daughter is still on her "binky" (i hate that word) and her bottle! I think my friend should wise up and take it away from her. There is a limit and you have to know that limit.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 5:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Like ninny sounds so much better. I called it a paci and my daughter never took one even though I tried so hard to get her to use it. I see no problem with a toddler having a pacifier as long as it's at nap/night time. Some kids have a greater need for sucking than others.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son used one until he was almost 2. It had no hinderence on speech or teeth. Lots of kids have a non-nutritive sucking need and my son was one. Any future kids will self-wean.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They are fine...however my son is almost 2 and we will start to take them away at 2, I do get lots of looks at nap time because he is bigger than some 4 year olds I know. But he generally only gets it at nap time, or bed time, and for things such as a bad fall or shots!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Never gave my child one, it was just one less thing to try to wean him from later on!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my daughter loved/s hers. shes 3 1/2 she gets it only at bad time now, the only reason she still has it is b/c when she turned 1 i was gonna wean her off it but we moved across the country, than DH deployed, and we just kept having a bunch of major changes in her life and i didn't want to add on to her stress. we call it a noonie, don't know why its a LA thing and i could care less what it was called, thats what dh called it so thats what we went with. it hasn't affected her speech or her teeth in any way, and she really rarely even sucks on it at night anymore, more of a comfort object that she holds onto. our little guy is 3 weeks tom. and hes not fond of it, he'd rather be sucking on his hands. each baby is different and some have the need to suck more than others, so some kids love them others hate them. as long as its used to satisfy that need and not just shoved in a babies mouth to keep them quiet than i think its fine
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I hate the word "binky" too. Maybe because my MIL calls it that! My daughter hated it when she was little, now she needs it to calm down sometimes. I will have to get rid of it someday, I don't want her to be too old, walking around with it.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009