Bellyache remedies - swallowed some river water?

We live in a vacation area of Missouri and a lot of people float trip down here. There is a little remote creek near our house with clear water and we just brought our girl down to stick her feet in the water. She was having a ball - but daddy taught her to pick up rocks from the bottom and throw them in. She liked to hear the "kerplunk" sound but I noticed immediately after she'd throw it in, she'd stick her wet hands in her mouth. She did this several times and it was nearly impossible to keep her from doing this. I'm concerned about any bacteria in the water or parasites or something - she's doing ok now, but if she gets a bellyache later, I think it's a job for something more than Mylicon. What do you do for bellyaches?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the chances are small, but possible that she would get a bacteria from the creek. If she starts complaining of a belly ache later or runs a fever then you would probably want to get her seen by a doctor. That way they can run blood tests to see if she has caught something from the water. Just to be safe.

as for the belly ache, try children's pepto (i think they make that now) and make sure she gets plenty of fluids.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would call her doctor for suggestions! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I would call her doctor, just in case!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thanks girls. :) I'll go look for some children's pepto - I didn't know they had that yet! Unfortunately the doc is closed at this time, so if I notice she's starting to act weird I'll call the after hours line. So far, so good. ;)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my mom got a parasite called Giardia from a creek and it was horrible. She was an adult and almost died, diarrhea, puking, fever and fatigue seemed to be the most prominent symptoms. If she shows any of these symptoms, get her to the doctor right away. Parasites are nothing to mess with, especially in small children.
    dali_mama48161

Answer by dali_mama48161 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Wow, Dali Mama (cute name btw!) that sounds terrible. far she's been normal, hopefully no strange symptoms pop up from here. We live in a very small town, and we moved here from St. Louis last year. I kept her same pediatritian, as we are not sure how long we will be here due to my hubby's work, so I schedule visits around her dr. appts. I am going to look for an "emergency" ped. around here that I can take her to if need be. Thanks for your concerns, and I'm glad your mom is OK!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• We give use chamomile tea for upset tummies.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Jun. 12, 2009