Has anyone put their child on a gluten free diet to help with eczema?

I have a 5 month old almost 6 month that has had a bad case of eczema for about 5 to 6 weeks. The Dr.s all tell me its more than likely not the food. However I did take him off all baby food and just kept the cereal and baby formula. I have checked with all manufacturers and everything he was eating was gluten free except the cereal one of the only two things I didn't take him off. So now I am wondering if he could have a gluten intolerance or allergy. Any insight would be great. Thank you!

WorkingMamaof3

Asked by WorkingMamaof3 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my ds has that. Even the stuff that the dermatologist gave me didn't work. So I was told to use real tea-tree oil from the health food store,not walmart. I put it in his shampoo cause he gets it real bad on his side burn area and behind his ears. It really does help.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My landlord uses a 2% cortisone cream on her ds's body & a 1% on his face. He clears up very quickly! Idk about any food allergies, etc. GL!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My DD's allergy doctor said that eczema is a side effect from allergies (asthma is too, BTW). Which, in our case- makes sense. She is allergic to all sorts of things, and breaks out all the time. My sister is the same way, highly allergic to all sorts of air borne pollens and such. Her doctor put her on a steroid cream- it is a mix of Cetaphil (OTC cream) and a small percent of Triam (steroid). When she uses it, it helps to clear up her skin in a jiffy.

I would highly suggest getting your little one checked out before removing foods from his diet. A simple allergy test can be done, and you can talk to the doctor about what steps to take next. When dealing with a small child like that, it isn't so good to be removing things from his diet without a doctors say so.
    SWKansasmomma

Answer by SWKansasmomma at 11:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• You know what is really good for skin rashes, Breast milk! See if you can "borrow" some from a BFing mom and apply it to his rash. Also, Cortisone can cause scaring which is why it used to require an Rx.
    Anonymous

• i haven't but if you've taken him off everything and the rash is still there it isn't due to food...have you tried changing detergents and soaps? do you have pets? plants? dd has had terrible excema since that age as well...hydrocortisone works really well for when it gets bad, and spectro cream for kids works great as a daily cream!
    mamajen07

Answer by mamajen07 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Excema isn't a sympton of gluten allergy or sensitivity. I know. My ex has been trying to say it is for almost 2 years now because of our daughter - she has excema, not the other. I've talked to Dr.'s, scoured websites, and talked to allergists - excema is extremely dry skin - and can be caused by some environmental allergies.

There are a few things you can do for the excema - less frequent baths- 3 or 4 times a week; use a cream like Eucerin or Gentle Naturals Excema Lotion, use fragrence free soap or excema soap, use frangrence free detergent, use liquid softner instead of dryer sheets, lots of liquids, lots of vitamins, milk baths (cows milk works too), and use fragrence free shampoo and bubbles.

You probably want to get him to start eating again... if the Dr. said it wasn't a food allergy you are probably okay. Just add the food back in gradually.
    CatRose15

Answer by CatRose15 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• My DD has eczema & it can sometimes be caused by a food allergy but in most cases not. Exposure to sun helps & we use the cortizone cream to help clear it up when it gets really bad. I dont have any other info on it other then that. Our allergy specialist dr said that to us (cant remember off the top of my head what kind of name/title she has!) when we asked about the eczema being connected to my DD's allergy to milk.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• What is a 6 month old eating with gluten? wheat (and dairy, citrus, etc) are allergy triggers and should never be given to a child under the age of 1

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2009

• take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers and message me if this is something you want to try or need more info about. 

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 8:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2009