Breastfeeding

Ok so my son is 6 months old now, but when he was born I was told I couldn't starve him b/c as a mother your body will make enough milk for your baby! So I nursed him often for hours on end and he still was losing wieght I went to the lacation consulant almost everyday for the first month of my child's life! Finally she had him nurse for 30 mins in the office one day (she wieghed him beofre hand) and then weighed him after and he was only taking in .25 on an ounce at a month old! So I felt horrible b/c I didn't have the milk supply to feed my child and I couldn't afford any supplements to increase my supply so I am now a formula feeding mother.... But my question is to anyone who has been in my situation do you feel like less of a women and does it really and honestly hurt you when someone makes rude comments about ppl formula feeding?

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 6:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you did the best you could, but people on here will still give you a hard time. THere is this whole BF/FF war going on. Is he gaining weight normally now on formula? That's what's important, FF babies can be healthy, too! Don't let anyone make you feel like "less of a woman".
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You know, my mother purposely did not breastfeed me or my sisters. When she had us, it wasn't really encouraged or pushed upon women like it is now. I know lots of women her age who never even considered it. One co-worker recently confided to me that back when she had her first daughter, she thought her boobs were too small to breastfeed so she didn't even try! My mother certainly has no regrets over it and seems baffled that I still do it even though my DD is only 3 mos! Likewise, my dad keeps asking me if I'm 'still breastfeeding.' My sisters and I are healthy and smart and haven't suffered b/c of it, to my knowledge. I think ppl. need to get over this breastfeeding obsession already! You tried your hardest and your feeding your kid. That's all that counts.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I quit nursing my DS when he was 6 months old. I wanted to keep going, but I had gotten a very bad stomach bug & was sick for over a week. My milk supply just dropped & I just couldn't get it back up again. I do feel bad that I had to quit before I had planned but I still know that I did the best job that I could & my son had an excellent start to his life. Anyone who makes rude comments doesn't deserve your time & attention. YOU know what is best for YOUR son & it sounds to me like you are doing it!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I formula fed mostly becuase my hubby was deploying within a few weeks and i wanted him to be part of everything until he left. If he would have been deployed, I might have tried. But I do not see any problem with needing to formula feed or wanting to formula feed. I have been cut down for my choice as well, it's not their baby why should they care?!?!?!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm so sorry if anyone made you feel less of a women because you had difficulty BFing. It's unfortunate that other mothers would criticize. We're all just trying to do the best we can. With my first son I, too, was unable to BF-and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I spent many hours with nurses and pumping, but to no avail. After 2 months of all that I decided to exclusively FF. So, when I became pregnant with baby # 2 friends and family would ask if I was going to try to BF. As if I didn't try with baby #1! That really hurt me, but I just had to look past their ignorance. I am able to BF with this baby, but to tell you the truth it kinda sucks...LOL. Good luck with everything.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Every situation is unique. In yours, it sounds like you might have been one of the 2 percent that could not physically make the needed amt. of milk. So you did do the thing that was in the best interest of your child's health.

I currenty breatfeed DD, but when i had my twin boys they were given breastmilk thru a feeding tube in the NICU. When they got home I was still very sick from the blood pressure and overwhelmed. They ended up on formula. You have know idea how much pain I felt for the longest time about the formula. When I find myself thinking negatively about formula feeders I remind myself that I formula fed too. I hate when ppl are on their high horse. The thing that DOES make me angry though are the formula companies and their hidden agendas. Parenting magazines who are actually sponsered by formula companies. uneducated medical professionals. Just people's ignorant attituted towards bfing. You're doing fine mama
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I know quite a few woman who didn't make enough milk to feed their child. Some went on to nurse other babies that came along the way, and others weren't able to at all. It's surprising how common it is.

You gave it your best, and that's something to be proud of. But so is feeding your child =). My SIL refused to accept the fact that she didn't make enough milk (even though 2 LC's told her she just wasn't making enough, even after taking supplements and trying to up her supply) and for a long time her baby would just cry all day long until she was so exhausted she'd crash, then wake up and start crying again. Then my brother came in with a bottle of formula and the baby drank all 6 oz (at 3 months) and went on to drink another4. So I think it better for you to switch than to deny it and starve your baby.

Good luck! Just remember that you love your child just as much as any other mom, breast feeding or formula feeding
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009