• In the Spotlight:

what do you consider spanking?

i think every persons view on spanking is different, but so is their view on what spanking is. for me its a bop on her bottom, i've also batted her hand away from things like a stove, candle or something thats not safe, nowhere near hard enough to leave a mark but hard enough to get her attention. and i've never used nor do i ever plan on using a belt or anything like that. when i was a kid it wasn't a spanking unless it was with dads belt, and i know some people who will bop their child in the face and say thats spanking (no way for me, as far as i'm concerned that is slapping your child) so i know everyone sees that differently, and going off the question of what do you do if you don't spank just got me curious as to what different people see as spanking.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 6:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• To me it's a swat on the rear or the hand.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My kids are 5 and 3. For serious offenses I pull down pants and spank with my hand. NEVER an object.

My 5 year old recently bit my 3 year old, totally out of character for him. He is very mature. I pulled his pants down and wore his bottom out.

For minor wrongs I pop on the pants.

I usually dont have to spank at all. My kids are fairly well behaved. But if my son ever cursed at me or yelled at me I would probably pop his mouth.

My kids will grow up with respect, not backtalk and rudeness.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I agree with ann. too
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I don't see the difference in a swat on the butt, and a swat on the hand. Seems all like spanking.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Any time a hand is put on a child it is spanking, there are different levels of spanking but it is still a spanking.

I have no problem giving my kids the occasional spanking, but I would NEVER pull my kids pants down and spank them, that is a form of humitialtion and I would never use humiliation as a form of puishment.. that is just degrading!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Slaps usually come when a parent becomes sick and tired of a childs behavior and they haul off and slap. That's not a spanking to me, and also it means that you make a child angry. Even the Bible speaks against pushing a child to anger.

Using a Spanking as a form of discipline is taking the time to stop, take a breath, (nothing is done is quick anger), and telling the child what he has done wrong, letting him know that you have trained him to do whats right and he chose wrong so this is the consequence.

With very small children, I think a spank on the hand after you have given one warning or a spank of the bottom after a warning of "No!" is appropriate. But too often I see parents that won't take the time to train their childrento begin with & teach not only how to behave but how to respond to mom when she says "stop" or "No", so they get soo mad that they give over sized pops. That to me is not a spanking.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm with Anon as well. If it's humiliating as well it's more effective, and you're less likely to have to repeat the punishment.

The reason for spanking isn't joy, it's to get their attention immediately and connect the negative behaviour with a negative result. This doesn't work very well on a kid who doesn't know wtf you're talking about to begin with. I see a lot of long winded parents and really confused kids.

KISS method.

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 8:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree with you. The only way I would ever slap my kid is if they are a bit older and mouthy. But I will do the light spanking. No need for severe pain.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I just slap their hands or a light swat on the butt to get their attention. Never pull the pants down and slap away type of thing. That isn't necessary.
    JessalynnJade

Answer by JessalynnJade at 10:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Striking a child for any reason is just abuse. I don't care what the motivation was, state of mind, etc. If you strike a child you are being violent with the child. I consider any type of violence abuse.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009