how do you explain to a child where heaven and hell is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My children know that heaven and hell are mythical and were concepts used in earlier times to illustrate the concepts of good and evil, at a time when few people could read and only the clergy had access to a bible. There is no need for that kind of thinking now.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well, since we don't know WHERE they are, I tell them that I don't know... All I need to know is that they exist.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mythical places that exist in books and stories. That's where we find them.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My children know those places are fictional, and exist only in mythology.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Depending on the childs age, I would not tell them about hell, to me it is a scare tactic, to me a loving god does not seen his people to a fiery pit. Now the heaven part, kids want to understand, so up in the clouds to a place we can not see with our eyes is usually a good answer to them until they get older. Now I am not christian, I dont know if there is or is not a God, but I do not deny the possibility there is a god or goddesses or more than one....I just dont know.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well, usually you think of Heaven as Above the Clouds. I have used that method to explain where Heaven is, but I go into deeper detail about what I think Heaven will be like. Streets of Gold, Angels praising God, Mansions for all who believe, etc. Hell is a real place too, but usually it's not talked about too much until they're a little older and able to comprehend better. Hell is a scary thing for young kids to hear about.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We don't use those terms in our household.
    I agree with Janet116.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2009