Mildew on the bathroom ceiling?

I've painted my bathroom ceiling with white mildew resistant paint. I'm still getting mildew on the ceiling. What can I do to stop this?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Your bathroom may not have adequate ventilation. Make sure you either run your fan everytime you shower or open the window. We have a very small bathroom in the master, and we did put in a fan, BUT, we squeegie the sides of the shower stall every time we shower. It only takes a couple of minutes and we don't have so bad a mildew problem.

My mother in law keeps a towel hanging on her shower/tub unit just for wiping down the walls quickly.

The way to get rid of it, is to spray clorox and water mixture. Be careful, tho b/c spraying upwards means it falls back down into your eyes so use a ladder. I would think that if you were to do all of these suggestions, you prob. will at least see less mildew. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Call a professional. Seriously, i've never seen anyone successfully get rid of mildew. Well, i take that back. My brother tore out a whole wall and ceiling and replaced all the drywall and that got rid of it, but they also got rid of the source of moisture. Be careful because mildew can be potentially dangerous!!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• sounds like you are going to have to get up in the attic and find out what's putting that moisture there. you're going to have to replace the drywall too. sorry.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well it's in my bathroom so I assumed the moisture was coming from the shower...
    Anonymous

• I agree with : lifeasinoit :
    Your bathroom may not have adequate ventilation. Make sure you either run your fan everytime you shower or open the window. We have a very small bathroom in the master, and we did put in a fan, BUT, we squeegie the sides of the shower stall every time we shower. It only takes a couple of minutes and we don't have so bad a mildew problem.

I used to live in a townhouse that had no ventilation and I always had mold and mildew on the ceilings and parts of the walls, straight bleach, unless the wall is already deteriorating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2009