House for sale by owner?

People act like selling your house yourself is a bad idea. I imagine it may take a bit longer to sell. Is it difficult? Do you think it's bad? What have been your experiences?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• we did this...sort of. we sold our house ourselves but the couple that bought it had a realtor. they paid the fees and we got out of having to do all the paperwork and stuff. its not a bad idea. just google it so you can get the documents you need. and definitely get a lawyer to handle the closing just to cover your butt.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm gr8tful im not a house, lol.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 8:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have sold my own house & thot is was not a bad deal at all. Its work, but saving that extra few thous. dollars was put into MY pocket. I feel like I worked for it & it was worth it to me.

Today I sold a camper on Craigslist (I know, not the same thing), but I had soo many calls & the first person to come look bought & didn't even dicker the price. I was willing to reduce the price a couple hundred dollars but he lost out by not asking. The point here being, if you word your ads well, or even word of mouth, then you will find people interested & you can sell just about anything. :) I hate sales, but I ADORE selling a car, house, camper, boat, big ticket items. I've never had any prob. selling what I have.

First I give family & close friends an opportunity, and usually it stops there, but ads online or local newspapers work well if you word it well, AND you make your item look really good, clean and loved. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009