How much is your average electric bill?

We just moved out of military housing and into our first house that we own. So I am trying to make a new budget for the house. Which is hard to do when you dont have an idea of how much they will be. So I am trying to get ideas of what other people pay and guess what to budget. I know it wont always be the same but I have to budget for SOMETHING!

stayathomehero

Asked by stayathomehero at 7:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I dont think anyone can really answer that unless they are neighbors. I would actually ask a neighbor what the estimated water bill is.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• im just trying to get an idea of what people pay for theirs thats all. im not asking anyone to tell me what i will pay. im just seeing what an average household of 4 or more people pay for utilities. thats all.
    stayathomehero

Answer by stayathomehero at 7:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Gotcha........mabey though you may want to add where your living. My friend out in California pays literally hundreds more for electric and water then I do in Michigan.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have 7 people in the family, 2000 sq ft home, 4 computers, 4 TVs, one bathroom, washer & electric dryer, dishwasher, electric water heater, electric stove and LP furnace. I use CF bulbs everywhere I can. I live in Michigan, and I pay $271 each month just for electricity.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm in Alaska (household of 3) and we spend around 50 dollars a month on electric. I think they usually suggest when making a budget, keep track of what you spend for a month (keep receipts, write it down in a notebook, etc.) and then at the end of the month, see where you can cut back (if you're trying to spend less) and THEN create your budget. It's hard to do when you have no idea how much anything will be. When I first moved in with my hubby, we thought we could survive on $100 worth of food a month. Boy were we wrong. Ummm, try 4x that!
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh, and we have an electric stove, microwave, 2 computers, 1 tv, and the lights off when not in use.
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 7:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm in Tennessee. I have a 2800 square foot home with dual zone forced air and heat. 3 adults, 3 children, 3 bathrooms, energy star appliances and 11-year-old heating and cooling units. We use CFL and LED lightbulbs, and we are very conscientious of turning off lights and electronics, etc. We spend about $150 -$200 a month in the summer, keeping the temperature at 74 degrees upstairs and down during the day and at 78 downstairs at night. In the winter our bill generally runs about $80.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 8:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am in Chicago. Our house is about 2000 square feet. We have gas heat and a gas stove; we don't have air conditioning. Our electric bills run between $45 and 90 a month. Our gas bill is $216 a month (we are on what is called the budget plan; we pay the same amount every month and have an adustment once a year based on actual usage). Our water/sewer/garbage bill is about $200 every six months. I think that our homeowners' insurance runs about $1000 a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I have an 1200 sq foot town house, 2BR 3BA 2 story.....1 tv, 1 pc, and my lights are on constantly......2 kids and I keep the AC on about...72. Our elec varries from 80-140
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• LOL I am in the same boat as you. We were inmilitary housing for almost 5 years. No bills. It was great. Then, my husband got out of the military and we moved into this house...our bill on average has been around $250/mo, but in May it was 170 so...idk lol..

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2009