Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone in OKC area that knows anything about custody or a good lawyer???

Husband and I have had a rocky relationship since getting stationed in OK. I didnt like fighting in front of the kids, being controlled by him, the way I always felt angry and kept it bottled in. He's 24/7 on WOW (World Of Warcraft) never helps w/ the kids. About 2 mos. ago I told him I was going to leave and go back home (OH). It was fine until last week. He said he wasnt gonna support the kids and saw I had child support paperwork mailed to me to fill out. Days later he set forth a plan and started recording me yelling at the kids, swearing, etc. Now he is trying to use it against me as if I would SERIOUSLY "kill" the kids, which he and I both know isn't true. He got a lawyer, had me removed, no custody of the kids temporarily etc. Everyone I have called in OK can't help me, even though I stayed at home, have no income, no car, no home. Court is the 18th and I have no idea what to do legally to fight for my children.

Answer Question

Asked by MamaPratt85 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Also... He is military and using them to help him. He had domestic violence charges when I was pregnant with our daughter. After 4+ months the charges were dropped, because he joined the military to support our daughter (this was all before we were married) and I agreed to drop the charges. Since moving to ok we have had a few other domestic calls involving his temper, but no charges were pressed because they called his superior to come out and nothing happened, he just had to leave the home. Legal Aid won't help me because they said I haven't had any recent domestic violence. Legal Alternatives won't help because I had income (a tiny less than $2,000 in a year of unemployment)... All the lawyers want a $1,500 or more retainer. I only have about $800 right now... And no where to turn to. I'm not even from here, no family etc. Living in shelters, w/ the few friends I have... Any advice would be GREAT. Thanks.

    Answer by MamaPratt85 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • go to or (that is 2 v's not a w) and talk free with an attorney.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • ooops!

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.