Seeking the wisdom of cafemoms!

I have my 37 week ob appt today, but my regular ob is out of town, so I had it with the sub guy. Have to say, very nice guy, but crap where answering questions are concerned. I told him the baby is pinching a nerve. My right leg is killing me down to the knee! He didn't tell me if there is anything to do about it though, so I thought I would seek the wisdom of other cafemoms. Any ideas, ladies?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 7:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Health

• Is the pain in the back of your leg? If so that is sciatica (SY-attic-a). It's the result of strain on the low back 5th lumbar vertebra (small of your lower back). Now that you are in the final stretch of your pregancy the most amount of strain is being placed on your low back, hence the sciatica. The best thing for it is deep heating ointments,

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Zostrix medicated ointment to alleviate the pain. You can get it at CVS/Walgreens, it's a little expensive, but you literally only need a dime sized amount, it doesn't smell, and it WORKS--a single tube will last a lifetime! A single application will stay "active" until your next shower, so wear latex gloves when applying, wash hands thoroughly afterward.

When sitting bring your knees as up as much as possible to reduce the curve in your back. When standing try and place the bad foot on a box to help alleviate the pressure in your back.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I've herad that lots of moms get down on their hands and knees and rock back and forth to relieve pressure.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I had that, I was told her give her a push... lay on the opposite side and slowly push her away. She always went back tho.
    Also, i went through a new dr everytime I had a dr apt when I was pregnant.... In fact, the place I gave birth at didn't get my medical records from the last place. I was army and we moved in the middle of everything.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2009