How young is too young for allergy shots??

I'm curious becuase I've noticed my daughter has seasonal allergies and I do as well. Her's aren't eye swelling, coughing, trouble breathing like mine are and I wanted to see if allergy shots would work for her. They never worked for me but I got them when I was 14 and among normal seasonal allergies I am allergic to almost everything else! Peanuts, turkey, dust, trees, wheat.... I want to get her help now before this develops even worse like mine did. Does anyone have experience with this situation?

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Health

• Hey pillow fight buddy....i work at a Ear Nose Throat Clinic/allergy clinic....to start shots your child would have to be allergy tested first...and usually they say it isnt accurate until after 5 years of age. Also, there is a OTC allergy medicine....Claritin and you can give it to very young kids but you need to ask your doctor the dose....they have it in liquid in some brands. Also, there is a new one out called Xyazal...they also have it in a liquid and its prescription only though. You should take her and have her checked out. You could benefit from some oral meds right now until she gets older
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 7:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Have the OTC allergy meds made any difference? If you've tried them and they haven't worked then I'd ask the doctor. I don't think that having the shots will reduce her risk for more allergies in the future though. I think it's really just a genetic thing. If she's going to have allergies, she's going to have them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• what are OTC allergy meds?? and she's still young, (19 mos) but it drives me crazy cuz benedryl, clariten and such NEVER worked for me. She has scratched all over her cheecks from scratching her nose and it really all just suddenly started today.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• OTC = over-the-counter =)

I really would talk to the doctors. They might be able to prescribe her something that will help her.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• XYZAL......sorry..i spelled it wrong in my last comment!!!! Like I said, they have it in a liquid...called XYZAL ELIXIR
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 7:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You can try eliminating dairy and taking a spoonful of local honey every day. Similisan allergy eye drops are amazing.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2009