Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get my ex-husband to pay more child support?(from Oklahoma)

My ex and I have been divorced for 5 years and at the time of the divorce I was very young, stupid, and broke and had no money for a lawyer so I fell for all his bull shit. We have joint custody but he only sees the kids a weekend every 2 weeks and 4 weeks outa the summer and only pays $425 child support for 2 kids and gets to claim them as tax deductions every other year. He now makes twice as much money but has his own business and has told me repeatedly that I can't prove how much money he makes cuz he shows a loss on his taxes every year on his business but yet he has a huge house note, a few vehicle payments, 4-wheelers, boats, jet-skis, etc... I know for a fact he don't keep books on his business. I don't go through child support division he pays me direct...Is there any way I can make him pay more child support?

Answer Question

Asked by Crissa at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • there is an online child support calculator for each state now. Just go to google and type in child support calculator for your state and see how much he has to pay. You CAN always ask for the child support to be reviewed. You can have your attorney do it or some states allow you to use the state attorney for a fee. Call your local child support office and ask them if they offer it or if you need to find an atty

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • you could appeal the old child support order. if that doesnt work go for spousal support if you havent, or both. you can just say you werent aware of all of your options at the time of the divorce. now the child support order will go over a lot easier than spousal cuz he can say that you have been living fine without the money or an increase but as far as paying money that he should be for his kids is his reponsibility if it cour ordered or not and if alls he pays is 425 in the end at least you tried.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • Yes all you have to do is send in a review to the agency where you are collecting child support and they will ask for you and your ex's income. Then they will determine whether or not you can get an increase.

    Answer by diamondmamma at 7:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • Ask for a modification..i think they call it that. Tell them you know his income has increased..and that you need more money. GOOD LUCK!


    Answer by youngmm at 8:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • I am in Tulsa, and my ex is in OKC. I just had ours revised through CSED, but mine is a little different, I have always had full custody, and our payments go through the state. But he is making about $12 / hr more than he was when I filed, so it went up abuot $150 /month. You have a good case, but you might be beter served if you got an attorney. Dont tell him about it, juts let him find out or it will cause an argument, and it sounds as if he would try to hide some of his assets too. You can get it changed to where you have full custody too if you want it that way, sounds like he doesnt see them enough to have joint and is just using it to hold over your head. I would also put it on there that you have sole tax rights too. That is rediculous trading years when he doesnt have them very often! Good Luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • So does it matter that he shows a loss when he files his taxes every year or is child support figured on the amount of assets or payments he makes. Because he's probably got about $50,000 worth of stuff financed in his name that other people makes payments on.

    Answer by Crissa at 12:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.