What is the purpose of holy water and who all uses it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All I know is in the movies it burns vampires, beyond that I dont have a clue.
    Anonymous

• holy water protects from evil. most Christians use it although i'm sure other religions do also
    Anonymous

• I know Catholics and Lutherans use it. I'm unsure of what other denominations use it. It's blessed water. People are often baptized with it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It is water that has been blessed. It is used for many different things. Baptism is the most commonly known but it is used for other sacraments as well. In the Catholic church there are vessels that have holy water in them at the entrance of the church so that when you walk in you can dip your fingers in it and make the sign of the cross. This is a reminder of your own baptism.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• well my daughter loving in it lol my niece was getting baptisted and my daughter desided to play in the water instead
    Anonymous

• As a pagan I use holy water also. Holy water is any water that has be "consicrated" or blessed. It's used in spells and rituals to represent the element of water, and to enhance posative energy...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do the same as Sabrina. I believe there are many religions that use Holy Water...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yep, but mommie is right. Christians don't dip our fingers in it as the Catholics do upon entrance into the Chapel, but it is water that has been "blessed."
    I can't help but laugh though at what the first Anon. said about it being used on Vampires. Seriously, as a kid, I thought the same thing. In movies you would always see a Catholic Priest slinging it across some person who was demonically possessed during an exorcism.

Luckily, I know better now.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• does it really protect against evil? common, i dont think so, otherwise everyone would have it by the gallon.
    Anonymous

• **Christians don't dip our fingers in it as the Catholics do upon entrance into the Chapel **

May I please clarify that Catholics are indeed Christian. And please, why in the world are Catholics always referred to by other Christians as "the Catholics" like they're some kind of cult or something. I'm sorry, but I have seen this a lot lately and it's a bit strange to me.

Anyway, I think a lot of religions use holy water for pretty much the same purposes.

Anonymous