What can I do for work/ a career?

I am dyslexic and bad at math and reading/writing. I really injured my shoulder/back so I can't continue in the line of work I was excelling at (factory work). I did a fast food job an failed at it miserably. What is left for me? should I consider going on SS/disability at the young age of 25?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• My dd did telemarketing for a while. If you are truly disabled then that is what disability is for.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Looks like your writing is just fine, but do whatever makes you happy.
    Anonymous

• ~OP. Pretty much all jobs above doing physical labor ( which I can't do) rely on handwriting and mine is barely legible to me. I thank the person who invented spell check every day other wise my online life would be rife with misspellings.

Anonymous

• How about....receptionist? Telephone call center? Driver? Florist? Salesperson? All of these can be done with little to no handwriting.

Head to your local employment development department or community college. They can help you assess your abilities and match them with your interests. Hard to make recommendations when no one knows what your strengths are!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am going to be 26 in August. I to am dislexic. I have Fibromyalgia, cronic fatigue, labrynthitis and bi-polar disorder. I work from home for myself full time with 2 different businesses. So, here you go.

Freebie Force ~ www.FreebieForce.com/SabrinaMBowen
    We offer our members access to the greatest freebies from every corner of the world. And I don't just mean free samples. I have gotten Diamond earings and Free Toys for my kids. Take the free tour on the site.

Ameriplan - www.DailyPayFromHome.com
    We offer low cost Dental and Medical benefits. We offer daily pay and benefits. For all the details visit www.DailyChecksAtHome.com and listen to the audio. Then you can visit my site and request your interview. I'm always here to answer questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also have a couple of other sites you should visit.

Sabrina's Closet is dedicated to helping moms find all the best opportunities from their computers. Earn, Spend, Share and Save money without waisting any gas!

WAHBrie has a great list of earning opportunities. Most of which are affilates where you would simply direct others to shop at those sites and earn money. They are mostly free opportunities and great to earn a little extra.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have created a series of work at home articles on eHow.  They contain excellent resources, ideas and links.  You can check them out in my Journal here at Cafemom:

Work at Home Series

My newest one, How to Work as a Recruiter for KidsMealDeals.com is a fantastic opportunity!  Be sure to read it!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). There is a company located outside of Chicago that matches up VAs & clients called VSI; the url is www.avirtualstaff.com. The owner is Tracey Wallace.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. I work out of my home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• As some other ladies have suggested, you can always work from home. I have been working from home for a few months now and I love the freedom to chose my own hours, be my own boss and get a paycheck each month. You do not have to be good at reading writing or math; the only thing you need to participate are having basic internet skills which you obviously have and having a heart for helping others. I'd love to help you get started; take a look at my website and click on "Get info now" www.YouCanWorkFromYourHome.com

Lisa

LisaPisanic

Answer by LisaPisanic at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would consider work from home, in today's world all you need is a computer to reach out and make an income for yourself. ( if you don't have a computer you can find older ones that work great to get you started) The computer has spell check so that helps with your challenge as well as some business opportunities offer a turnkey system that has everything in place for you to plug into... your health issues would again not be a big factor as you could work as much or as little as you want depending on how much income you want... just a thought, hope it helps blessingsbegin.com
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2009