How can I help my child speak more?

He's 22 months old and only speaks about 45 words. How can I help him to speak a bit more? Any good ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• flash cards they make them for toddlers and they just have numbers and pictures on them. and picture books, just sit with him for as long as he is willing to sit and show him pictures tell them what they are and ask him if he wants to try to say it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Talk to him constantly. I had a really hard time with this but it does work. As you go about your day, talk about what you are doing & ask him questions & work on building his vocabulary that way. You can also try getting him into a playgroup with children who are very talkative & see if that brings on the words. If he is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry. Children will sometimes put speech on the backburner, so to speak, when they are working on developing a new skill physically.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I just talk to my children all the time. We often look at pictures and I'll tell them what we're looking at then ask them to tell me. Even when watching tv (educational programs i sure do hope) can help like dora, diego, seseame street, etc. But trust me, it'll happen, and now my son is 3, and says everything, repeats all, and there are a lot of times i wish i could go back in time where he didn't talk as much! lol JK It's so precious, honestly. Good luck, just talk talk talk.
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I had a similar problem, and I started hanging up words on the microwave and such around the house. It seems to be working, she's 19 months and is trying to say more. There are games you can play and such. If you google "toddler talking" there are tips there as well
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yup, just talk talk talk to him. Engange him in learning activites. READ TONS OF BOOKS EVERY DAY.

And ask him to tell you things as well. Like "what is this", "can you tell me what your favorite toy is", etc.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes! my 19 month looks at my lips when I talk and he tries to say the same words. so, she is right just keep on talking!
    judybluedy

Answer by judybluedy at 11:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• flash cards won't do dick. the more you speak with him the more he will speak. make him respond when he talks to you, but don't correct him over and over. let him answer his way.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I agree with you, Trepsica, except my name is Dick and I resent that...LMAO JK.
    Talking to your babies definitely helps them acquire language faster. I'm not sure if people in the grocery store were smiling because my baby was so cute or because they thought I was crazy for talking to a 3 month old i.e. "be on the lookout for the pasta. If you see it, just give a little squeak or grunt" (have to use humor to keep yourself entertained). Now, at 28 months, he never STOPS talking.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2009