How do I get my 2.5 yr old to drink milk?

Tater used to love milk now she says she hates it...we have tried adding flavoring, didn't work. I am pulling my hair out at this point. I have tried to increase her calcium in other forms such as cheese, cottage cheese, ice cream, those types of things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TatersMom2006

Asked by TatersMom2006 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I say keep offering it but untl then you can get some orange juice, not any with a lot of sugar so check
    some all natural orange juice enriched with calcium
    also ur kid need vit. D from milk and I believe that some brands of natural orange juice have that as well as calcium in it so go lookin
    Anonymous

• flintstones vitamins? chocolate milk? nesquick comes in a cute little bottle.

or make ice cream shakes together. scoop some ice cream into some milk and turn it into a fun activity.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Milk is not KL's favorite either, but she has to drink a full cup before she gets anything else. My mom used to put food coloring in mine and I got to choose my color for that glass and I loved it.
    marshallmommy

Answer by marshallmommy at 9:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Milk is not the only source of nutrients, and IMO it shouldn't be the most important. Milk is mucous-forming and it gives my son a runny nose every time he drinks it. Other forms of dairy can be just as nutritious (yogurt has the added bonus of probiotics too). From what I've read, vitamins from veggies and fruits are better assimilated (used) by the body. I'm not vegan or vegetarian or anything, so don't get the wrong idea about me... I guess my family just isn't the biggest fan of cow's milk.
    All I'm really trying to say here is that your child shouldn't be nutritionally deficient just because of a lack of milk... as long as she eats plenty of good food (veggies, fruits, grains, oats, etc.).
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes, they sell vitamin D enriched OJ. Flintstones vitamins, pediasure, a cool new cup/glass, that kind of stuff.

Don't forget yogurt too, yum yum. I get the "thick and creamy" kind so it's easier for my kiddo to feed herself.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Try giving her a milk box? We use the horizon vanilla boxes and DS thinks he is the coolest thing ever to run in and get it himself. Also try giving her a yogurt drink in the morning with flavored yogurt/fruit and milk combined. Up until 5-6 mo ago that was all my DS would have first thing in the morning.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 11:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows, past the age of two, the only beverage that humanss need is water. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jun. 12, 2009