What was your DEFINING moment as a mom?

Other than seeing your baby for the first time, of course =]

My defining moment so far would have to be...my daughter throwing up on my face tonight. I was playing airplane with her, and I didn't even see it coming. It got all in my hair, and I haven't even bothered to wash it out yet. Life is too short, you know.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When my dd was born 22 years ago the R.N. came in to weigh her and she was asleep, the R.n. said, "we are on a schedule so just put some cold water on her to wake her up" so I said you go take an F-in cold shower and then you can come back and get her.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think mine would have to be that the fact that the smell of vomit doesn't bother me any more, it used to make me hurl every single time...Whenever somebody puked, I puked...No good.
    And another one would be, I caught poop in my hand...My son was about to poop in the tub, and I just didn't want to deal with that, so I caught it in my hands, flushed it, and all was good with the world...No bathwater to be drained, no scoopint mushy poop out of the tub, no fearing that there was poopy water on my son..Yeah, I'm a weirdo :)
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• have to be when i fought with her doctor, she snored so horribly and i told him she stopped breathing at night and he kept saying its normal. so it took me 2 years of arguing and calling the doctor every month sometimes 4 times but they finally did a sleep study and determined that she needed her tonsils and adenoids taken out.
    another one would be when we were in the hospital after she was born, they said she couldn't go home b/c she spit up too much and i told them i was checking her out b/c she never spit up w/us she only spit up when the nurses fed her. freaked me out and made me realize that no matter what choices i made i was going to question it later. (she was fine like i thought but i told dh to turn around and take her back to the hospital i don't know how many times on the way home b/c i was doubting myself)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• oddly enough it was when my daughter was 2 and we were taking pictures. she sneezed and a huge glob of snot came out and i caught it right before it hit her dress. it was a reflex. i was like ewwww...but my first instinct was to catch it so it wouldn't be on her dress in teh pics.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 9:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• When my son headbutted me in the nose in church and I didn't throw him. My first instinct was to push him off my lap! The youth pastor and his son started laughing which encouraged my son to try for a second time!!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My daughter puked in my hair a few days ago...same thing as you: I was playing with her shortly after dinner...silly me! I didn't wash my hair for a couple of days afterward! It was no big deal to me. Poop on my hands, drool rolling down my arms, baby peeing on me while I'm putting her in the bathtub, changing a smelly diaper...I don't even blink an eye. I KNOW now that I'm a mommy!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The other day in the doctor's office I had my son in my lap facing outward. He leaned forward really quickly and burped. Before I knew what I was doing or what was happening I thrust my hands out and caught his vomit in my bare hands. I didn't even know I'd caught it until I moved him out of the way. It was gross, but all I could think was "Good thing I caught it!" which is weird because a few years ago the last place I would want someone else's vomit would be in my bare hands.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my moment wasn't anything like ya'll's. My daughter was 8 weeks premature and was in the NICU for 31 days. On the day we were bringing me home I was putting her little comming home outfit on and was having trouble. All I could think is I can't even dress this baby they are never going to let me take her home. A nurse came over to help, and I said politely that they had been helping with everything the whole time I needed to do this alone. I finally got her dressed. Then had trouble with the car seat, I was almost in tears at this point. But I finally got it and for the first time I felt like a mom, because no nurse saved me when I had trouble.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• For me I don't thnik it is any one big moment. Rather all the million little ones in between that make up this experience called Motherhood. My oldest is 23, and could be a parent himself...so the torch is passed. My youngest is 2 and I realize more and more each day how fleeting childhood is. I hold tighter now, I cherish more. I see the 5 of them together and my cup runeth over. It is a wonderful, scray, beautiful ride.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Like PP my DS was extremely premature (13 1/2 weeks) and even though he is my 2nd child, it truly didn't hit me until I faced life or death decisions about him. He made me feel like a mom alot when the NICU Docs needed my approval for everything concerning him.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009