What would you do....? Please help (x ray during pregnancy)

I was in a car accident almost 3 weeks ago. I felt ok after the accident but about 3 hours later I was feeling REALLY tired, and then my knees felt like they were going to give way. Well I figured ok its just cause Im prego. Well the next morning I woke up and I could barely move my neck so I went to the ER. Well they said I had concusion symptoms but I decided not to get the x ray cause of the risks to the baby. Well they told me to come back if it didnt go away or if it got worse...it kept getting worse to I went back and they said that I have a herniated disk, or that I moved a disk in my back or something like that. Well for the last few days I have been in HORRIBLE pain and have had a terrible head ache for the last three days. I try not to take anything for the pain because you never know if it will affect the baby, but I am really considering getting the x ray...what would you do? My doctor told me I should disregard..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my pregnancy and get the x ray...please what are your opinions. What would you do?
    Anonymous

• I would get the xray. Of the many diagnostic tests (xray, mri, ctscan, etc) the xray is the safest.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well how far along are you? If you're pretty close to the end then maybe the xray can wait? If your still near the begining then I don't know. Tylenol is safe during pregnancy. I would think that the pain couldn't be good for the baby since it raises your blood pressure. I don't think I would get the x-ray though. Sorry if I'm not much help.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i would get the xray if your doctor feels that is the best thing for you to do than he is taking you and the baby into consideration. the one or two xrays they have to take should not have any affects on the baby, and that way they know how to take care of you, if you aren't healthy than baby may not be healthy either.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Im only 11 weeks, I've tried tylenol it doesnt help at all. My blood pressure has been at 120 over 80 the whole time, it was that way with my DD also
    Anonymous

• I think that there are other things u need ot worry about besides blood pressure like how this may affect u if it go untreated thru out ur pregnancy. it may have life altering consequences
    ask you OB and talk to him orher about what they advise and then talk to the doc who wants to do the x-ray and ask what may happen if you wait 29 more weeks and go from there
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• dont get the x ray
    preggyjackie21

Answer by preggyjackie21 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I had to get an MRI done when I was about 20 weeks along and I was very nervous about it. The doctor brought the tech into the room to explain to me that the smaller the baby the less effected by it he/she will be. He said that there is actually a level of radiation that is safe for the baby up to a point (I can't remember what the number is tho!). One Xray uses about 1/20 of the max amount, so unless you have to get tons of Xrays the risk is really minimum. I would go ahead and get it!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I would get the x-ray. A neck x-ray will give you a radiation dose of 20 mrem. To put that into perspective of other sources of radiation, you get 0.5 mrem for every 30 minutes you are in a plane. So if you take one round trip flight from one side of the country to the other side you'll get a total dose of approximately 6 mrem (assuming 6 hour flight time each way). Think of all the time pilots and flight attendants are in the air - they go way over 20 mrem in no time at all. If you live in the Denver area of Colorado you get 63 mrem of radiation each year from the ground. You get 40 mrem a year from food (potassium in bananas, spinach, etc.) and water (radon dissolved in water). This information is from the American Nuclear Society website www.ans.org
    The EPA's website also has some good information, though I found it hard to navigate and had to really search for what I was looking for. CONT.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• But on the EPA website they had a link about natural sources of radiation from the University of Michigan http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/natural.htm
    And here is a link from UC Davis
    http://safetyservices.ucdavis.edu/environmental-health-safety/radiological/radiation-exams-quizzes/ionizing-radiation-pregnancy

Basically, there is a risk, however small. I worked in the Navy nuclear power program for 10 years and find that knowing about radiation makes it a lot less scary than what a lot of people make it out to be. I hope you are able to find some good information in these links that will make you less scared to get the x-rays, because it really sounds like you need to have the x-ray.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009