what is the deal with juice?

My daughterr is just about 11 months. She doesn't need juice (apple), but can I give it to her as something new and fun to taste? Should I wait? Is the sugar really that bad? She drinks water from a sippy, but won't drink formula from a sippy, so I was just trying to find other things she would drink from a sippy to try to get away from the bottle. Thoughts? If I did give her juice, I would water it down, my mother always did and to this day I do for myself.

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 8:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I water down the juice for myself and my two year old son.
    I don't see any problem with it if you don't give it to her every day. You don't want her to start to expect it instead of her water or milk. Make it a treat.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also water down my son's juice. It's okay to have juice, but only about 4oz a day.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I give my 8 month old juice (watered down) here and there, but not every day. She usually gets it 2-3 times a week, and usually as a snack or with a snack. I don't give it to her so she can carry it around all day.

I think what you're doing is fine. Yes babies don't *need* juice but it doesn't mean that you can't give them any. Especially if you go out on a hot day, it's nice for hydration and blood sugar.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Sure you can give her some. Just water it down and make it a treat. I always buy the 100% juice that dosent have added sugar. Also, my LO never realy liked apple juice all that much and it gave her diaper rash so I gave her white grape and she loves it and has no belly aches or diaper rashes. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Are you talking about regular juice or the baby juice in the baby section? My son is 6 months and he has just started getting juice on wic. And we get quite a bit but I thought that babies weren't really supposed to have juice. I have only tried it twice in a sippy, but he will only take a few sips. Still trying to figure out how the cup works.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 9:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Yes it's fine (4 oz a day) watered down, but what I found with my oldest son is that even WAYYYY watered down (think 2oz juice to 4 oz of water) my son would always without fail end up with a runny diaper. So with my youngest son I don't plan on giving him any juice, water is fine!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2009