• In the Spotlight:

Should I let my 7yr old spend the night with a friend on a school night?

Our 7yr old is quiet the social butterfly and has been invited to spend the night with a friend on a school night, should I let her? The friends mom works at the school so I trust them to get her up and there but have not had this issue with the older children.

BlessingsBegin

Asked by BlessingsBegin at 9:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• here there is less than a week left of school, so they aren't really doing much teaching anymore. if that is the case for you, and you know the mother and that the kids will be in bed at a decent time than i would allow it. but if they are still in the middle of their school year than i probably wouldn't i'd ask if the weekend was ok, and if not invite the child to spend the night at your house over the weekend. my kids aren't in school yet though this is what i would do in your situation if it ever arises.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I do not have school age kids....but I don't think any child, no matter what their age or maturity should be spending the night at friends on school nights. That's a rule and a boundary that will not be crossed in our home. That's what their weekends are for
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i did a few times when i was younger. like if my dad was working nights and my had to work extra early. of course, i wouldnt let my kid do it every week...but once in a while cant hurt. just make sure there is still a bed time, if thats what you do at your house.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It sounds like your dd would be fine....but I made the rule with my kids no spending the night on school nights....period. If you let her stay at this friend's house she'll ask again and again, and then start asking to stay with other friends...you just have to think in the long term, what do you want your rules to be.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Normally I would say no, never on a school night, but like someone said, it's probably the last week of school so not as big of a deal!
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I would say at this point int the year, most schools are burning up the calander and goofing off anyway. If you know the Mother and feel getting her to school won't be an issue, and your DD is a strong student I say go for it. I did not encounter this much in grade school but when my girls hit high school it happened a lot. As long as their grades are up and they are on time I didn't have a problem with it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Nah...not on a school night. She can wait for the weekend. If you start that now she'll be asking all through her teen years to stay out during the week.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 1:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I say no. It is a school night and even if the other parent is responsible and works at the school I know kids get excited spending the night together and will have a hard time calming down to get enough sleep for the school day. The weekend is almost here just do it then.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2009

• Not on a school night.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Jun. 12, 2009