For Catholics

I'm asking this question not to be mean or disrespectful, but I would like to truly know. I obviously don't know very much about your beliefs, but in movies and books, it always depicts the Catholic Church as having people that are possessed by demons, and the Priest performing exorcisms on them. Does this really happen? I mean, you rarely hear of any other faith performing exorcisms. What would convince the Catholic Church that someone was indeed possessed by a demon? Also, do you know of one that was actually performed? Could you give details?
Please understand that I am just curious and wanting to understand better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, truthfully, I've wondered the same thing. Why is that we only hear about exorcisms being performed in the Catholic Church? That's a great question and I would love to hear more about it too. It's very interesting.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my advice is to google it.....but I think it is because a Priest has to perform the exorcism. not a pastor or minister, but an ordained priest.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• found this on yahoo answer:
    Many people are confused as to what exorcisms are as it is rather a catagory with several different types in them.

The specific exorcism RITE of the Catholic Church is vastly different than that common exorcisms that you find in pentecostal denominations. The latter will cast demons out "in the name of Christ". However, in the exorcism Rite the Catholic priest casts the demon out through his own authority as a vicar of Christ.

Thus the performance of the exorcism RITE can only be accomplished by a priest and only Catholics and Orthodox have priests.

Anonymous

• Now let me say something, exorcisms are EXTREAMLY dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. As Christ says, there are some demons that can only be cast out through fasting and penance. An exorcism is not a magic spell that involves the words "in the name of Christ". Lots of people treat it that way and that is very dangerous to do.

If you want to read about exorcisms try An Exorcist Tells His Story by Fr. Gabriele Amorth.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, people have been denied apropriate medical care due to belief in exorcising the demons which are really chemical imbalance otherwise known as mental illness.
    Anonymous

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• Anon :43, is that really necessary?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

• Why?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• cause
    Anonymous