Formula moms on WIC: did you choose to use formula because WIC gives it to you for free?

I mainly hear this from breastfeeding moms who have a "problem" with moms who use formula (as if it's ANY of their business how you feed YOUR child, but that's another story). So, I decided to do an informal poll to see how true this statement is.

Did YOU choose to use formula because you knew WIC would give it to you for free?

(When I became pregnant, I knew automatically that I wanted to breastfeed. I knew that WIC gave free formula, but that didn't sway my decision)

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 9:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• What's the difference? WIC Supports women who breastfeed, they give them extra food and nutrients to continue breastfeeding. I for some medical reason cannot produce milk properly. I am on WIC because there is no way we could afford the special formula my baby is on. But no, I tried all four times to breastfeed before I went to formula.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• no... it did help tho! My hubby was deploying and I wanted him to actually spend time with baby. He ONLY fed her after she was born. Wouldn't give her a bath, changed her diaper twice and that was only in the hospital... I did EVERYTHING else but he still had some time to feed her. I really couldn't care less about which one to have chosen still to this day! If they would have pushed breastfeeding that would have worked as well... but whatever! She still got what she needed and grew and is healthy
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I actually wanted to breastfeed as well. And i did for about 3 months and my milk dried up. I tried everything to continue, but nothing worked.. So yes I did put the baby on formula.
    Anonymous

• No
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• nope. I orignially started out breast feeding, and was not on WIC. My milk dried up around 1 1/2 - 2 months, and I bought formula for about a month. Then someone told me I should sign up for WIC, but I thought I made too much money. Turns out I DO qualify and so I got my daughters formula through them, which with me going to college helped us a TON.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• no. My not being able to produce milk was the reason I choose to formula feed.
    Anonymous

• I'm pregnant now. Although we won't qualify for WIC I'm still formula feeding. So for me it doesn't matter if it's free or not, I'm not breastfeeding. I just have no desire to do it.
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was originally going to formula feed my son before he was born. I had already made up my mind I didn't want to breastfeed. I knew that WIC gave formula but once he was born and found out that he wouldn't establish his own immune system until he was 3 months old, I decided to give breastfeeding a try. I was still getting formula for free just in case but I breast fed him for the most part until he was three months old. Just because WIC gives free formula, I wanted to do what I felt was best for my son. So, no it didn't sway my decision. I am very thankful for WIC though!
    Homemommy0503

Answer by Homemommy0503 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Im on WIC but I dont get formula I exclusively breastfeed.

Luvmy1

Answer by Luvmy1 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I did both, and WIC didn't sway me, out here they really push BF'ing so I don't feel it had any sway. Plus I paid for a lot of the formula when I did formula feed. It was just a matter of were I was at in life at the times each baby was born.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2009