Stripping of Membranes??

Has anyone ever had there membranes stripped? If so has it worked for you? I was reading on another site and a lot of different people said they have had success with this. I have my 38 week check up tomorrow and I was thinking about asking my doctor to strip my membranes.

hr1987

Asked by hr1987 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did, but for me it was VERY painful. I was a little more than 39 weeks and decided to have my doctor do this. That night, I lost my mucus plug and later started to go into labor. But my contractions didn't get closer together and eventually stopped. This happened one other time too. So I saw my doctor again the following week. She was shocked I hadn't gone into labor. She gave me some options ... strip them again, induce, or wait. I opted for the induction!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have already lost my mucus plug- last Friday and as of last week I was dialated to one. I have been having some really painful braxton hicks- well I think there braxton hicks. But I have also hear they could be real contractions but just irregular. I did go to the hosp last Friday and was having contractions every 2-3 mins they just were strong enough to make me dialate any more.
    hr1987

Answer by hr1987 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It doesn't always work. Don't quote me on this but I think it only works 15% of the time. I had it done at 38 weeks and I didn't go into labor until the day before my due date so I don't even know if that's what caused it, probably not. It kind of hurts, it's more like cramping pain.
    Anonymous