Hearing the baby's heartbeat with your own stethoscope?

"If you have a stethoscope at home, you can now hear the baby's heartbeat yourself"

That was one of my weekly readings for 18 weeks, i tried it and i can't seem to locate any heartbeat... does anyone know anything about finding the location of the baby? besides somewhere in the lump that is my uterus. i've got maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of chub over my stomach but that shouldn't make a big difference. its a prestige stethoscope from when i was an EMT.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I also heard that you can pick up the baby's heartbeat with a regular stethoscope, though I heard it's not possible until 20 weeks, and even then you won't always be able to pick it up. I would keep trying, but be patient and don't worry yourself when you don't get anything...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• no you cant with a regular stethescope you need a fetoscope-- or a doppler
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You cannot hear your baby's heart beat through a stethoscope. It just isnt strong enough. You'll hear your own heart from all the way down there faster than you will your baby's. You need a fetal doppler. Some places rent them out for about 25-45 dollars a month. Heres a link to one place that sells them
    http://www.bellybeats.com/
    Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• walmart sells the fetoscope for 19 dollars. it even comes with a place for you to record it!
    jannaboo

Answer by jannaboo at 9:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Be careful and make sure you check out reviews before purchasing a particular product. Many people go out and buy these products and they are worst than using a stethoscope. Walmarts "summer infant heart to heart go more bad reviews than good". Go with a good product that you can trust in. Like I said, you could even rent one.
    Good luck~
    Anonymous

• i'm not worried, i know its in there!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2009