Any Mom's out there with a child who had their tongue tie clipped?

Do you recommend it? Did it help your child? At what age did you do it? Any other advice....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• What are you talking about? Curious, I have never heard of this. It sounds horrible.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I was thinkin the same thing truthteller...ouch!!! why on earth would you do this to your child????
    Anonymous

• o.k umm what are you talking about?
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We took our child to a Ears, Nose and Throat Specialist to have the frenulum snipped. We noticed a big difference in speech. My child was 3.5 when the procedure was done.
    Anonymous

• I had a boyfriend who did when he was a few months old... i couldn't tell, but I guess his tongue was too long to fit in his mouth? I hadn't heard of it before that, and never heard of it since.... but he was a baby when they did it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• This was done to my brother. His tongue-tie was too short and he couldn't make his L's and some other letters because his tongue didn't reach the top of his mouth. Try saying lollipop without raising your tongue.

It isn't cruel. It helped him to be able to talk correctly. I guess the alternative would have been to leave it alone and he would have been teased his whole life. My mom chose to have it done and he has no lasting emotional scars from the ordeal.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 9:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• A tongue tie is when the frenulum (the piece of skin holding the tongue to the bottom of the mouth) is very tight, making it harder for the baby to raise or stick out their tongue. It can cause issues with nursing and sometimes with speech later on in life. Two of my kids were tongue tied and it make nursing absolute hell for me... my oldest had the frenulum snipped by a pediatrician at five weeks- in infancy it's an in-office procedure, it took about five seconds and after that he was able to latch properly, which was a relief to me as he was literally sucking my skin off. His tongue tie was extreme- even at age seven I can still see the notch where the frenulum was attached at the very tip of his tongue. My second child was also tongue tied, having learned from the latch issues it was done before we left the hospital. No regrets and I do think my son would have had speech issues had it not been done.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thank you casperskitty, i understand it now! Makes total sense to me, just first time I had ever heard of this and sounded horrible. Now i know it's a medical procedure.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Mine was clipped when I was an infant, not sure what age. My dd's was clipped at about 8 months, and my grandson's was clipped when he was 2 days old. It seems to run in my family. We didn't notice any difference because they were all so young. I did notice after my dd's was done, she'd stick her tongue out alot!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• For those that think it is painful did you circ your sons?   Our doc said it was less painful then that and it really should be done depending on the severity of it.

My son was tongue tied at birth and had a terrible time latching on to nurse. We went to an ENT when he was 3 weeks old and had it clipped.  It can cause problems nursing and later with speech. My son was sleeping and they put a thing in his mouth to hold his tongue up and then snipped with scissors. He cried more from being woke up and having his mouth pried open then anything. I immediately put him to breast and he was right back to sleep. It took a week or so to teach him how to latch properly afterward, but it was well worth it for me. He also seemed to stick his tongue out more the first couple days after. He was severe too and at 4 years old I can still see the notch on my son's tongue too.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2009